Volcan Pacaya


Advertisement
Published: November 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 4th November.

Hola!
Whats the craic. All is fantastic here, hope its the same where ever you all are!!! So this is just a quick blog about the visit to volvan Pacaya. Its an active volcano about an hour and a half from Antigua.

I left with my trusty sidekick, Camilla, at 1pm with about 40 other tourists. When we arrived we were greated by about 40 people who live around the volcano selling sticks and especially taxi rides on rather small horses up the track to the volcano. So off we took. It was one hour and a half through the forest to the foot of the volcano, most of which Camilla spent running scared of the horses! We stopped half way at a view point where we saw smoke billowing out of a distant volcano. The walk up took about an hour and a bit but once we reached the top of the hill, we could see the whole of Guatemala city spread out below to our left. Straight in front, the landscape was dominated by a group of 3 more volcano's and to the left, Pacaya and it red orange glow.

So we
The View Point!The View Point!The View Point!

Dont know what the volcano is called but thats smoke coming out of it! We dont have that in Waterford!
decended to the foot of the volcano which was like landing on the moon! It was preety cool. Lava was pouring down the slope on one side and on the other it opened up to give some amazing views, especially of the sunset. We didn't ascend the volcano itself but stayed around the bottom which was extreme enough. It must be one of the only place in the world were you have such freedom on an active volcano with a tour guide! As one walked around, you could just feel the heat everywhere. There was one section of lava which was constantly excreting hot lava that was bigger than a couch. We were able to get within about 2 feet of it! This is where I broke out the marshmallows!! I'm telling ye all now, marshmallows heated over lava are orgasmic!! Other people had hot dogs and one french family brought cold pizza and used the hot rock to heat it up...ledgends! We spent about 30 mins up there, took photos, poked the lava, laughed, ate marshmallows and watched the sunset! Then it was back to the bus and home for a few rums and a fantastic nights sleep. Lava lads....lava!!!!!!!!!!!

So that was Pacaya. Next its on to Semuc Champey. Camilla and I were supposed to head to Mexico but due to time restraints, we had to change the plan. So for the next week we are heading north east to the Mayan ruins of Tikal, with a stop and the caves and and national park at Semuc Champey.

So untill the next one take care and talk to ye all soon.
Adios
Daithi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

A VentA Vent
A Vent

These are everywhere and when you stand near them you can feel the heat rising from them. The minerals turn to crystals and turn the volcanic rock a type of silver white.
A massive lump of Lava!!A massive lump of Lava!!
A massive lump of Lava!!

Does exactly what it says on the tin!!
Another vent.Another vent.
Another vent.

Look, I'm walking on lava!


19th November 2007

Lava
u poke that lava good man!!!keepin it real like!!!!!u should have cooked puddins on the lava if u ask me!
4th December 2007

sabage!!
dude sounds frickin mental. your seen some amzing stuff. has this girl figured your a total metaler yet??? good to see your getting on good anyways!!! keep the blogs coming!!! when the big walk starting?

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb