Guatamala-Ciudad.


Advertisement
Published: August 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Gutamala-Ciudad, 15 febrero 1990.
After last night's debacle in El Bordello we decided it might very well a good idea to leave Antigua ahaed of schedule.
Most likely that soldier in knocked out cold, was probably so drunk it's unlikely he remembered anything at all once he woke up. Also, considering they were armed and in uniform, it seems likely they had decided to skip their duty rounds and head for that brothel instead. Under these circumstances it seems reasonable to believe they had no wish to tell their comanding officer about last night's little adventure.
Still...we both decided we've very little interest staying in Antigua and running the very real risk of bumbing into them again.
So after our habitual breakfast, huevos rancheros with pan and lots of strong black coffee, took a ramshackle bus with uncomfortable wooden seats to Guatamala-city.
The city is enormous, on top of a plain and surrounded by mountains.
The city's air is sullied with exhaust fumes and assorted polution, the streets full with old cars and unpainted city busses, luckily most of the ugly concrete buildings are only 4 or 5 stories high and therefore allow the sunlight to penetrate the city's streets.
Streets that are full with people hurrying to and fro. Streetsellers advocating their wares in loud and raspy voices, their mercandise spread out on pieces of dirty cloth.
There're so many streetsellers on the pavement that pedestrians often have to walk in the street risking their limps and very life in the chaotic traffic.
We see a lot of armed guards, in front of the banks, offices, private clubs and even outside and inside the McDonalds where we had our lunch.
They wear blue uniforms and carry very effective-looking firearms.
We found a seedy hotel that probably doubles as a whorehouse, the shower only supplies water on ocassion the owner told us.
The many young women dressed in slutty clothes that did little in the way of covering their lived-out bodies, sitting on wooden bar stools in the foyer as well as in front of the place strenghtened my suspicions about this hotel being a brothel or at least being used for the shorttime trade.
The price of the room was cheap though, at only 7 quetzales.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.367s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 32; qc: 84; dbt: 0.3336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb