Day Four on Site


Advertisement
Published: October 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we started mixing cement for the foundation of both homes. It's another physical task, and the sun was out full strength again. We made sure to pace ourselves as mixing cement by hand involves mucho shoveling! First you start by filling wheelbarrows with sand and gravel. Then you dump them into a heap and start mixing. Next comes the water and the bucket brigade to the trenches. One of the home's foundation was 5 feet away from being finished at the end of the day! Our little buddy Raphael was waiting for us this morning, and he put in a full day even though he is only 8 and his only pair of shoes are too small. His family is quite poor, and he isn't able to go to school. Who knows maybe he will grow up to be a mason? We are hoping this experience is helping him. He has touched our hearts, and we will miss him when we go home.

After our day of labor, we were able to go to an artisan market and found some wonderful hand-crafted jewelry and pottery. We also went out for dinner to a nice restaurant, Los 44. It was a wonderful meal, and we were able to learn more about our Habitat hosts here in Santa Ana. We learned that there are currently 25 Habitat homes going up through the Santa Ana office! It was a relaxing evening after our hard work at the site. It's hard to believe tomorrow is our last work day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



24th October 2008

Tara
Hey Tara. I look forward to reading your blog each day. I print it out for Ken and Kenny. We're so proud of you. Hang in there and stay safe. Love ya
24th October 2008

Your Journey
Tara and the entire team: The blog has been wonderful to read. Thanks for all you are doing in El Salvador. The impact is priceless, especially in the interactions you are having with the children. I am sure you'll remember them always. I can't wait to hear more about the journey. Stay safe. --Stacy ps... hope the 'tool time with Tara' kit was helpful.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb