Our ride to Santa Ana


Advertisement
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We got our first introduction to the family-centered culture of El Salvador at the airport. Huge crowds of extended families waited at the arrival doors. Team members felt they were stepping onto the red carpet. Grandparents, babies, cousins and neighbors warmly greeted each other - then 20 at a time - crammed into Ford Ranger size trucks and sped away.

We rode a comfortable bus for two hours to Santa Ana through lush green mountains, past road-side cows and sugar cane fields.

It seems to be incredibly green here because it rains several times a day. Our guide, Luis Fernando, said the heavy rains are washing away the mud, cardboard and tin shacks. Change of plans - the community center cannot be built because of the bad weather continues well past the rainy season. We will build a single family home on a different site. I think we are all happy about the switch. We meet the family tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



20th October 2008

Blessings on your build!
Marcia/Cate, great to hear you and team all made it there safe. Cant wait to hear how your trip goes. Keep on bloggin!
20th October 2008

Been thinking of you.......
Carrie, I'm very glad to hear that you all made it safe and sound. I've been thinking of you all weekend. Sounds like the countryside is very beautiful! I'll email again later in the week. Be safe!! Be happy! Love, Mom.........
20th October 2008

Jane: I'm happy you're safe - and envious!
Team: Congrats on your safe arrival -- have fun as you get down to work. Cate and Marcia: You know how to handle the rainy weather! Michael: You are going to love it!

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb