Perquin to San Salvador.


Advertisement
Published: January 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Perquin to San Salvador.

After Perquin we headed to the Capital. I had a plan to try and get to the capital so I could watch the highlights of the derby. To do this we had to get up at 4.30 am and catch 4 buses, Michelle loved this! We managed to get to the Hotel which had cable T.V about 20 mins after I thought it had ended. I still flicked through and my luck was in instead of showing the 20 mins highlights it replayed the whole match and I got to watch the rest of the game! Even though the result was foregone conclusions as city are shit it was still nice to watch!

Of what we seen of the capital it was very similar to the other Central American capitals, overcrowded, polluted and a bit dodgy! Michelle will remember this place as it has the largest shopping centre in Central America, about as big as the Trafford centre. It was a nice change as it was very modern and lots of famous brands and at cheap prices. Michelle got a bit of retail therapy and I managed to buy a new pair of hiking boots. The best thing about buying the boots was giving the old ones to one of the street kids. His face was a picture, well chuffed. They may have been a few sizes to big, but it’s better than wearing no shoes at all, like him and most of the other streets kids. It’s always hard for us both when we see a lot of poverty especially kids as it’s so heartbreaking. We try and help them out by buying food or giving some money and they are always so grateful and it makes your day. It’s just that you can’t give to them all and eventually you get used to seeing them and that’s even worse as you get aclimatised to it which you should never do. A homeless child is exactly that and you should help them out if you can and all travelers can, in some one way or another. We have read that it is bad to give them money as you do not know what they are going to do with it and they can come dependent on this money and choose to stay on the street as they get older rather than look for work. I can see that this may happen and that’s why I try to give food than money but sometimes money is all you have and seeing a young girl 5/7 with a baby strapped to her back and all you have is money, you have to have a cold heart to say no especially when they are not asking for much.

We only spent 10 nights in El Salvador and we didn’t see too much to bring us back. There were similar places in Guatemala which were nicer and a lot cheaper so would prefer to go back there.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.329s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 19; qc: 102; dbt: 0.2761s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb