The History of the Taino Indians


Advertisement
Published: January 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Have you ever heard the real story behind Columbus’s travel to supposedly have discovered America? Most people believe that it was a miracle that Columbus found America. Everyone thinks he is in fact a hero right? Wrong. Columbus in fact committed a genocide wiping out a generation of Taino Indians. In 1492, The Taino Indians were the first settlers in the Dominican Republic. It was their land; their home. All of that peace was broken once Columbus invaded the settlers. Columbus forced those who were well and able to work finding all valuables and anything that could bring Columbus fortune. Columbus even kept a journal about what he did to the Taino Indians. They were all victims to cruel punishments. When a man would disobey orders, he would have his hands cut off and leg amputated. If women were to at all cross Columbus, he would send his dogs on the women, who then would eat them alive. As years went by the population decreased rapidly. By 1555, every single Taino Indian was gone. Needless to say, Columbus was not a hero. He was a cruel man that took 16 million innocent lives.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement




Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb