Ocean World Marina, D.R.


Advertisement
Published: December 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Update for 12/13-12/15/06

Paul and I left the Caicos Marina & Boatyard at 0945 on Wednday, 12/13. After breakfast and Mark’s great coffee, Libby and Mark’s bags were loaded into the pink-mobile (definitely NOT a Cadillac), and we had our hugs and good-byes with a few tears mixed in. We’re definitely missing our friends!

Our leg across the Caicos Bank, took a bit of time with a vigilant watch for coral heads. The Turks Island Passage (or Columbus Passage) presented us with 5-8 ft seas, some 10-12 ft seas, and long rolling swells. In Grand Turks we anchored overnight next to South Dock, which was a bit rolly. Had a bit of trouble finding the customs & immigrations offices. As an aside, the Grand Turks produces mosquitoes the size of flies……Libby, Paul figures your presence would have spared him the 10 bites he got on the way to and from Immigration! The application of Deep Woods after 4 pm does not apply on Grand Turks.

12/14/06

We upped anchor at 0905 after a trip to shore to get successfully stamped out of Grand Turks Island by both Immigration and Customs offices, and headed south making 30 knots, leaving Salt Cay to port heading out into Mouchoir Passage. We encountered seas of 5-8 feet, just forward of the beam. White caps and a bit more wind, slowed us down to 24-25 knots in Mouchoir Passage. A few good squalls, and not a vessel or land in sight until Ocean World at Dominican Republic. Got a bit rougher the closer to were to the Dominican Republic. The entrance to Ocean World is clearly marked to avoid the reef and big breakers just off to starboard of the markers. Bit of a surge in the marina, but the staff here are very helpful in keeping you tied properly to the docks.

12/15/06

Are waiting out an early morning increase in wind today, and will leave early Saturday am bound for Punta Cana, hoping to make the 180 mile run in one day. Ocean World is preparing for their Grand Opening tomorrow night, including a Beach Boys Concert! Which we will miss - darn! When the weather says go, we go. Going to try to catch the dolphin show this afternoon. Very pretty marina, restaurant, and casino complex where final construction is being completed even as I write this. Hope you are all well and staying warm.


Advertisement



19th December 2006

Good on ya, mate!
I'd like to say that I wish I were there, but upon thinking....maybe a beach in Maui. We are in another hotel, catching another flight but have had great fun playing with the perfect child. You know, we will be looking back on that trip with laughter for years...such are memories made of! Congratulations on finally reaching the finish line-I knew you could do it! Love to you both and have a lovely Christmas. Love, Lib and Mark
19th December 2006

Mosquitoes
Is there a Carribean version repellent...maybe Deep Blue Off?! The last legs are happening...be safe and Merry Christmas you two!

Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb