It's always scariest before the fall


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today will be our third day in Santiago, and our last. Tomorrow we head off to the village for our home stays. The name of the village escapes me at the moment and I'm not sure what the internet situation will be, so we might not be able to update as often. But let's not wallow in the sadness of that fact, for today we are doing something special.

I know what you're thinking. How could we have anything more fun than going to a school and throwing a frisbee, playing basketball, and dancing with the students and teachers. Well it turns out that with this group, everything is fun. Even grocery shopping yesterday was a hoot.

However, the activity for today is... Waterfall jumping! This plan has made everyone have mixed feelings; whether it's excitement or nervousness it doesn't matter. We came to have fun and for everyone to try the experience. 27 Charcos de Rio Damajagua is the 27 waterfall adventure where participants hike up a trail, and even the waterfalls themselves, to reach whatever number of falls they want to jump off of. As you could guess, the highest jump is at the end of the hike and is between 25 and 30 feet tall. For all of the parents who are now shaking in their pajamas and sipping coffee and reading this update before you go to work, this activity is very safe. The juniors before us, who also did the waterfalls, had a blast. Each person is issued a helmet, lifejacket, and shoes to let us hike through streams and up the waterfalls. Also, not all of the waterfalls are as big as the previously stated. Each one varies in hight from being a number of feet, to being slides. As I have mentioned, if a person is uncomfortable with continuing to the higher jumps, they are able to stop at specific checkpoints and start from there. People here who we've talked to have all told us that 27 Charcos is a lot of fun and that we should definitely do it.

Well that's it for me. Time to go and wake people up. I'm sure someone will be on later to tell you about all today.

Advertisement



4th May 2012

thanks for news!
The reports and pictures you all have posted on the blog look great! Have a great time out in the campo.

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb