cayo coco cuba


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba
January 13th 2013
Published: January 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

On our car drive from Trinidad to Cayo Coco we passed through some lovely countryside, especially on the way to Sancti Spiritus. We bumped over several railway tracks and through sugar cane plantations and farming areas.

We reached the 32km long causeway to Cayo Coco and the guards at the causeway control point wanted to see our passports. They were not very friendly but we were allowed to pass and start the long causeway drive. We saw lots of birds including a pelican and many gulls.

We arrived at Memories Hotel and enjoyed our welcome drink. Unfortunately we were in the wrong hotel! We had gone to Memories Flamenco Hotel by mistake and our hotel Memories Caribe was 1km away.

We met 2 friendly Canadians in the reception area. They were checking out after a 2 week holiday. They had not left the hotel site and even asked us which side of the road vehicles drove on in Cuba!

Our 2nd "all inclusive" package is much more refined. We had a nice sized room and it was comfortable. The accommodation, around 350 rooms, is contained in several 2 storey house developments next to a saltwater lagoon and the turquoise coloured sea. There are nice landscaped gardens with a good sized swimming pool. There is a resident heron and 2 flamingos in the hotel lake.

The food was very good considering the large number of holidaymakers, who were mainly from Canada. The staff who were quite young, were excellent.

Cayo Coco and the Guillermot islands are great for bird life as well as nice beaches. We drove around and saw many birds - numerous flamingos, herons, pelicans and wading birds.

Cayo Coco is a really beautiful place but the insects were a problem. We were badly bitten even though we used insect repellent. This is a great place to chill out and have a relaxing holiday.

The Cuban Government were building several more developments in the area and we saw work in progress on these and the new power and water infrastructure construction.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Amazing bus shelter!Amazing bus shelter!
Amazing bus shelter!

This must be designed to cope with a nuclear bomb!


13th January 2013

Birds galore!
It looks a great place to stay but the beautiful birds certainly make it a real wonderland. Thanks for the fantastic bird shots!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb