Cuba - 13th Feb 2008


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba
March 7th 2008
Published: March 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cuba 1Cuba 1Cuba 1

Waves crashing over sea wall
Cuba was fantastic. We arrived without our luggage :-( When we checked in there was luggage every where. Understandably, Cubans go on a shopping spree in Mexico. That is if they are fortunate enough to be let out of the country. There must have been about 30 bags that where going as unaccompanied luggage. Our one backpack must have got lost amongst it.

After it dawned on us that our bag had not arrived, we grabbed a cab and headed for Centro Havana. It was all a bit scary. It was now dark and the streets looked like a war zone. There where no cars and people hanging out of door ways.
We found Luis´s Casa (house) that we were recommended by someone in Mexico. We walked in and it was like going back to the 1940´s. High (20 foot) ceilings, the old telephone on the wall. All very cool. Luis was great and took us under his wing.
We stayed in another Case around the corner that was located opposite the Ocean. Apart from it being partly under scaffolding, the view was amazing. Si and I spent plenty of time in our rocking chairs drinking rum, smoking cigarettes and
Cuba 2Cuba 2Cuba 2

Kids placing baseball
admiring the view.
Cuba was amazing!! We spent days walking around discovering different parts of the city. The old part of Cuba has been restored and the Plaza´s , forts and buildings and spectacular. In contrast you have Centro Havana (where we stayed) that looks like it needs some love.

The architecture is beautiful and it is sad to see they buildings in such disrepair….and did I mention the cars. Classic cars from the 1950´s. We where surprised at the number of new cars. You can tell that things are slowly changing but it is mostly the wealthy that benefit. We found it a lot more expensive than originally thought. Mind you, a Mojito cost about $2.00 so really can’t complain.
On the Sunday, we went to the local beach. The water was gorgeous. We hired a chair and umbrella right at the waters edge. Si ogled the Cuban women (the men aren’t bad either).

One of the highlights was a visit to a cigar factory. The trainees get paid $5 a month. The employees can take home three cigars a day and smoke as many as they want during the day. Amazingly, they have never had a fire. Si worked out that one cigar passes through about 13 sets of hands before being sold. I don’t think he will be smoking cigars any time soon.
Our backpack showed up on the third day. Buying deodorant and tooth past was interesting and you have to stand in line. I was overjoyed when it showed up as buying cloths would have been a nightmare.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Cuba 4Cuba 4
Cuba 4

Si at cigarre factory
Cuba 9Cuba 9
Cuba 9

Beach in Cuba
Cuba 14Cuba 14
Cuba 14

Si and Luis


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb