Freshly rolled cigars!


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » Viñales
April 2nd 2007
Published: April 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

After an amazing week at Maria la Gorda, Laurence and I made our way to the small town of Viñales. We were excited for a change in scenery and some time away from the beach and eagerly awaited some hiking and biking in the countryside.
Viñales is a burgeoning tourist town with loads of places to stay and things to do. It is situated amongst impressive limestone formations called Mogotes which are supposedly some of the best rock climbing in the western hemisphere. We were dropped of at Casa Benito by our van driver who sugested this small and friendly place. There we met a lovely couple from Toronto, Ian and Elizabeth who we shared many evening conversations with.

The atmosphere was relaxed to say the least and the pastoral setting of the town was a reminder of Cuba´s tobacco crops. It was extremely pleasureable seeing large trucks loaded with timber or dried tabacco alonside ox pulled carts in the towns main road.

While the pace was slow and we took advantage by waking late and napping in the afternoons we did manage to hike into the surrounding countryside, bike in and around town and generally enjoy a laid back Cuban lifestyle.

Walking through the tabacco fields, I was often greeted by friendly tabacco farmers eager to share a hand rolled cigar, from their own crops of course and conversation about the world and Cuban politics and its particularities. Smoking hand rolled cigars with these old men was a pleasure and something I will not soon forget. In addition to tales about the revolution, I was also made aware of some of the difficulties Cuba has faced in the past 15 years and some of the stranger laws and regulations that face everyday cubans. Not only did I find out that some property is in fact private but that there is also many formal and informal ways of selling and trading these private lands.

A great surprise of Cuba was the amazing, delicious and incredible coffee that they produce, which is available at every street corner. Most farmers grow their own and always have a pot ready for anyone passing by. One afternoon, I was walking through the fields with a guy from South Africa named Richard and we stumbled across a small house with two women sitting on the porch. They invited us in and we accepted. Fresh pinappple was quickly chopped up while fried salted bananas were offered as well, not to mention great coffee which they had grown, roasted and ground themselves. We were soon joined by a quiet man, the husband of one of the women who sat quietly in his rocking chair, rolled a cigar for the both of us and sat and enjoyed the shade within his house and the conversation. It is not often that famers get a chance to speak with tourists who speak Spanish and they were all quite interested in Canada, the world and discussing politics.

Turned out that they were tabacco growers while the other women worked at the farm each day. She was an agronomist and was in charge of quality and pest control of the tabacco, very interesting. There is no poverty in Cuba, only lower middle class. These farmers, while short of luxuries like Nike shoes and fancy cloths had more than enough food to eat and had a fairly relaxed lifestyle, not to mention free housing, access to a good medical system and free education for themselves and their childrem. Unlike other Latin American countries Cuba has little inequality and
Good looking bullGood looking bullGood looking bull

Mogotes (limestone cliffs) in background
poverty. It is an incredible juxtoposition against the slums of Buenos Aires, Lima, La Paz and Bogota and the rural poverty of each of these countries.

Viñales was an amazing change of ace and a glimpse at what like in Cuba in like. I will definetly be back in Cuba someday and Viñales will be on the list of places to visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Beautiful OxenBeautiful Oxen
Beautiful Oxen

There is still a lot of work done with these animals.
Campesino Campesino
Campesino

He{s cutting up fresh pinapple for us after our hike
They will return!They will return!
They will return!

Commemorating 5 cubans being held in the US for Spying, long story...


19th April 2007

journey
Wonderfull to read about Jason .love Mormor.
19th April 2007

Enjoying all your info and pictures
Hi Jason Just wanted to let you know how much we are enjoying your adventures. Your mom passes them on to me and I pass them on to Lisa. She is loving them too. This is something that her daughter Kesheiya, would love to do after graduation. Keep them coming . They are being read and enjoyed by so many people. Betty Kunz

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb