hola from la habana


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » Varadero
February 15th 2009
Published: February 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

hola from the gang in CUBA. Well we're here in Cuba drinking free drinks of all sorts, soking in the sun and making bus trips to la Habana. However it was a Meg and Chris way to get here. I'll start with our trip from North Bay to Barrie to Toronto to Cuba all in the same night/morning. So Meg and I got a late start out of North Bay and ended up leaving at around 11 pm to try and get to Barrie in time to catch the van service from Jacobs house to Pearson. Lets just say we made it on time at 3am after really bad rain and some thick fog. So right from the car to the van we got on the way to Toronto to catch a 6am flight out. The checkin went smoothly and boarding went ok, but what's this? It's a plane that had work done on the engine. So after some 1 and a half hour tests we were finally off into the air.

We landed in Cuba and with a couple grunts from the passport people at the airport we were through customs and drinking beer on the way to the resort. The old cars make this place feel like we're in the 60s and hope that even if the Cuban and American government can settle things they keep these cars. The drive was about a half hour and we finally made it. We were checked in with a glass of champaigne and a cold cloth. Off to our rooms to drop our bags, then to the pool bar where we had many drinks. The buffet is good and they have 4 other restaurants here so finding food here is no problem. We spent Friday doing this aswell, napping on the beach, drinking and eating.

On Saturday we decided to take a day/night trip to La habana. On the bus we go, halfway through the trip we stop on the side of the road at this random stop that has an icecream shop and pina colata bar. We eventually made our way to la Habana. Our tour took us to the Capitole and around the city for lunch and dinner. At one point we were walking through the streets with kids following people giving stuff away. They did not leave the people alone until they just gave the kids the entire bag. During the tour we came across a show in the street and it was blocked. But our tour guide did not let this stop us from learning about old town. He cut right through hoping that all of us made it. They were yelling and singing at us and was an intense moment most of us will never forget. Later at night we went to the famous Tropicana show which was once in a lifetime. With a bottle of rum at our table we finished the night. We are taking a day to recover today and in the next couple days head out on our catamaran tour.

Hope everyone is doing well and you'll hear again from us soon.

Meg and I appreciate the comments and probably look forward to them more then you guys look forward to the blogs.

Meg and Chris

Advertisement



16th February 2009

shortages
Sounds like there is no shortage of food/drink for tourist. The Tropicana Show sounds interesting. Nothing to compare to the weekend here, Marlie in surgery last night after wolfing down a sewing needle!!! She'll be fine, Amanda and Jeff in the poor house!!! details when you get home. Have a great time Sounds like you have the Drink and be Merry part down to a science. Love you all.
16th February 2009

woohee
Sounds like you are having a good time. I was telling Gail re the leg hair and Jacob's day of sickness and she wants to know why these stories are part of your blogs. They just add to the adventures...and of course, Gail and I are all about the adventure. They must have some really weird phone system. I have tried to call several times and can't get thru. Will keep trying just so I can say, "I did it." Love ya! All is well here. MOM

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0897s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb