Cuba


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » La Habana
January 31st 2011
Published: January 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Two weeks in Havana, Cuba. Internet very slow, limited and expensive there so posting this from Mexico. Very different to anywhere else. Still many pre 1959 American cars on the roads. No traffic jams but air pollution bad as the only cars that dont spew out smoke are the broken ones. People friendly despite having a tough life. Low wages mean some cubans try to earn a little extra from the foreign tourist. Travel very difficult, ended up hiring a bike to get around. Highlight of the holiday was the train to Matanzes. The conducter invited me up to the cab to drive the train, what an experience. Goats and other livestock do the track maintenance, keeping the grass short and only jump out of the way last minute. The headlight is the trains only working light so much of the journey is made on total darkness once the sun sets. Coach trip to Vinales well worth doing, includes tours of rum and cigar factories, boat trip through cave and the picturesque valley. Had dinner with a Cuban family.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb