Lots Of Walking


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Cienfuegos
February 10th 2014
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 22.1495, -80.4436

Cienfuegos looks like the kind of town that most in Cuba will turn into when even a degree of prosperity returns to this island nation. The colonial town of Cienfuegos was founded in 1819 in the Spanish territory but was initially settled by immigrants of French origin and does show French flavour in the architecture- and apparently the only natural blondes in Cuba come from this area as a result.
In addition to wandering blondes there are a number of spectacular buildings all through the town and it gives the place an almost un-Cuban feel. Marinas, palaces, casinos, etc don't see to fit with the rest of communist Cuba but they have been carefully restored giving the town a splash of plush (the Marina is already hosting a number of traveling yachters- the first time in Cuba we've seen tea drinkers with their pinkies properly pointed outward).

That said, communist propaganda is more prevalent here than in other towns we've been in. Che Guevara and Jose Marti are well recognized, and the Cuban Five are featured everywhere (the Cuban Five are five Cuban men who the Cubans believe are unjustly imprisoned in the United States after being arrested by the FBI on Sept. 12, 1998- the gov't readily admits that the men were sent to spy on Cuban communities in South Florida but they were not spying on the U.S. government. Castro has effectively used to arrests to keep the anti-American fires burning).

Another slightly ominous feature of the Cienfuegos landscape is an unfinished nuclear power plant that the Russians are talking about finishing for the Cubans. If the Iranian nuclear program has driven some in the U.S. to distraction (with good cause), I can only imagine what a similar program right on their doorstep might do.
I'm sure the tall foreheads in Washington will come up with a number of new sanctions to tank the morale within Cuba but, as a piece of free advice, I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to damage the countries cuisine- it can't possibly get much worse. I'm not sure what the meat was in my ham and cheese sandwich, but if I was an Iguana in Cuba, I'd be very worried any time ham was on the menu.


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



13th March 2014

That reminds me of Malta!
13th March 2014

It's those dam cars Vic! Who are you kidding?.....
13th March 2014

I guess they would have no trouble finding one!!
13th March 2014

I'm starting to think that no one actually lives there!
13th March 2014

Thanks for the play by play Vic. You must be getting bored of those Vintage Cars!
13th March 2014

: >(
13th March 2014

YUP! I'm now convinced. No one lives there!!
13th March 2014

Seriously! Was there and 'Air Raid Warning' or something???
13th March 2014

Pretty :)
13th March 2014

Baaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!!!
13th March 2014

You guys need to infiltrate a 5 Star Resort!
24th March 2014

I'm a bit concerned if this was the tastiest meal! Hope you have had a few better meals since.

Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb