Boquette and the start to exotic Costa Rica


Advertisement
Published: February 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

From Panama city we caught a late night bus to David, about 7 hours north. The bus ride was fine, we slept the whole way apart from police stops where we had to show passports. Arrived at 4.30 am where we then caught a 'Red Devil' bus to Boquette which was an hour from David. We had 3 nights in Boquette in a private room to relax in. We stayed at a hostel called Nomba which was small and run by an a very helpful American guy who had worked with a lot of Kiwi's in the past. Free pancakes were cooked for us every morning which was great and see us through for most of the day!

We had been told that Boquette with a population of only around 10,000 was voted the forth best place in the world to retire in but little known to us. It had a great vibe to it and is set around high mountains (bit like queenstown) however a little colder but warm enough to walk round in a tshirt and jandals. The town was had a mixture of locals and just as many candians, americans and english pople who have moved due to falling in love with the ourdoors and lifestyle there.

Day 2 we did a coffee tour of an Americans plantation that he brought after retiring as the CEO of the meals on wheel business in North America. The farm was very beautiful and Scott got to roast some coffee which we got to take back with us. He exports to a few places around the states.

Day 3 in Boquette we did a hike to a waterfall which was pretty amazing but in order to get there we had to squeeze into a locals van which would normally hold 12 people but somehow managed to fit 22 people in! Scott also almost stepped on a small snake which freaked me out on the way up..

So back to David we went to find a bus to transport us to SanJose, the capital of costa rica! Another 7 hr bus ride and this time experiencing our first boarder crossing - luckily our bus wasnt full so our driver managed to skip us through this massive que which some people had been waiting over an hour and a half in! With no questions asked we got through boarder control and entered costa rica! I think having a New Zealand passport deffinately helps..

One night was had in san jose. We had dinner at cafe mundo highly recomended. Best ceasar salad! The restaurant was set in a courtyard around fountains and a pretty garden and heaps of candles! It was happy three years to us. Next day explored the city and was glad to be heading to la fortuna about 5 hours north.

Sadly no photos camera cord broke buy we will take a few on tablets to upload from now on.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb