San Jose & Sarchi


Advertisement
Published: December 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Teatro NacionalTeatro NacionalTeatro Nacional

National Theater
After a day of resting, we ventured into San Jose for the day. We weren't sure what to expect as we had read so many negative things. We tried not to look like tourists - carrying very little, and being extremely cautious. The city moves at a very brusque pace - the traffic is CRAZY, and we were glad we splurged on a cab rather than the bus. We started at the Plaza de Cultura and took a walk to a nearby park. After looping through the park we strolled back towards the Plaza - heading for the National Theater and the Museum of Gold. At the museum we saw a few exhibits - one on Costa Rican currency, abstract art and of course - the gold artifacts on display. The museum was informative, and we enjoyed our visit. Just across the plaza is the National Theater - its very ornate with large murals on the walls and ceilings. There are large windows, chandeliers, marble floors - just gorgeous. There was a rehearsal going on while we were there-but we were told we would be able to view the main theater later in the afternoon if we wanted to. We decided to brave the crowds out shopping in the main area and walked down Avienda Central for a bit - but since it was the Saturday before Christmas, the crowds were very heavy. It was definitely frantic and chaotic. We grabbed a little snack and sat in a plaza and did some people watching, before making our way back towards the theater. On the way, we found a nice place with outdoor seating - so we had a cold and tasty beer, hit the spot as it was fairly warm, close to 80, out. After spending the day in the city, we were glad to return to the quieter area we are staying in - much more relaxed.

The next day we decided to take a tour of Sarchi and Grecia. The tour was OK - the tour guide was a bit of a dud, and it might have been better during the week as the town of Sarchi is an artisan’s town with shops and factories that produce the painted wooden oxcarts that Costa Rica is known for. The area also is known for its woodwork and furniture making. The carts are traditional and were used to transport coffee beans. They are painted vibrant colors and have unique designs in geometric and floral patterns. They used to put different chimes on the wheels - so that each cart would make a different sound while moving. We did get to visit a factory - however because it was Sunday, no one was at work. We also got to see the worlds largest Oxcart - its in Guinness book, it was huge. It was directly across from the church in the town center. In Grecia - we went to see the steel church, Iglesia de Grecia. It’s painted a rusty red color and it’s very large. The steel came from Belgium and the decorated glass windows from Italy. It was a nice afternoon and we ended up our day with a super delicious dinner. After many days of rice, beans, plantains and veggies - we were ready for a change. We had an incredible brick oven pizza with the thinnest, crispest crust. A great end to a pleasant day.

Today, we have just been enjoying some down time - hanging at a nearby coffee shop and enjoying nice strong espresso and strolling around. Everyone is out getting ready for the holiday, so the people watching is great. We head to our next location day after tomorrow - looks like we should have ez wireless and internet access, so should be easy to keep connected....stay tuned...



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Parque CentralParque Central
Parque Central

Central Park
Iglesia De GreciaIglesia De Grecia
Iglesia De Grecia

Steel Church in Grecia
Iglesia De SarchiIglesia De Sarchi
Iglesia De Sarchi

Church in Sarchi
Iglesia statueIglesia statue
Iglesia statue

Sarchi church statue
Largest ox cartLargest ox cart
Largest ox cart

In guiness book of world records


22nd December 2009

Amazing
The color on those carts is astonishing. Hard to believe it's paint and not tiles. Or is it?? Good news on the Beard front. She's sitting on top of the bed and took treats from Bob. We are really not approaching her, but merely softly talking in the room. And if she doesn't come out, I bring the wet food to her to reestablish the trust. Not doing too well even with meds. So I think it will take another few days. Really is a virus of some kind. I don't remember being this ill in a while. OK, still cold for here. But we're shivering not shoveling. x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x
25th December 2009

nice sites
It was nice to see this entry. Sounds like your very busy seeing everything you can. Nice to hear you being careful.The pictures are just great, love the colors and designs. I can't wait to read the next entry.

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb