Noe's Tropical Dojo


Advertisement

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Santa Elena to San Isidro


Typical coffee makerTypical coffee makerTypical coffee maker

Great idea, you use a muslin sock to put your coffee in and pour hot water. Simple and quick.
Where to start? It’s a tricky one because it seems that we’ve entered in to a different world.. completely. We’re volunteering on a ‘farmlet’ called Tropical Dojo, it’s owned by an American guy called Noe. He arrived in Costa Rica over 20 years ago, built his own house and runs a small farm with animals and crops.

Noe is very much in to his meditation and yoga which we join in with each morning. It’s an interesting way to start the day; breathing, shaking, bending, stretching and trying to get in to the positions that Noe is excellent at. The best bit about it is the breathtaking views from his lounge.

The house is open, with few walls (luckily around the bedroom, not so lucky around the bath!). The view is of the lush tropical hills, it’s spectacular. After yoga we have breakfast and then it’s on with the chores of feeding all the animals. We also have to take two kids (goats) and a lamb for a walk an hour a day. Noe calls this ‘goat meditation’, it’s quite surreal but thoroughly enjoyable.

Goat meditation pretty much sums up our time here. Everyday leaves us a little
ToadToadToad

We went to the Santa Elena Frog Pond on our last day. Was very cool.
baffled with the exploits of a 60 something year old man and his eccentric ways (Noe’s not sure that he is eccentric, just not conventional).


He has a noise he makes whenever he says hello to people, a little bit like a turkey warble. Ahhlokolokoloko. We went to the farmer’s market today to get the weekly fruit and veg, people were calling out his greeting and he was ahhhlokolokolokoing back to them. It’s funny but also very cool. Something that might stick, so warble back if you hear us. On the way to the market Noe’s 30 year old Land Cruiser lost it’s clutch - just another adventure in the Tropical Dojo way of life.

Evenings are quite chilled. Noe’s in to his films so we have one each night, sitting on foam mats with pillows and blankets. Last night a few of the neighbours joined in. We introduced them to wine in a box.. Never have they seen such a thing. This was just a litre, can’t imagine the response if they saw the big ones back in the UK with taps!

We’re off to Noe’s mountain house tomorrow morning and then we’ve got a bbq party planned for the evening at his neighbour’s house. One thing is guaranteed, it will be interesting!

Peace and hippy love

S&S

XxXxX


Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Chicken eaters.Chicken eaters.
Chicken eaters.

They can eat chickens but the centre gives them mice which they strangle with their tongues! Nice.
San JoseSan Jose
San Jose

Taken from the bus on the way to San Isidro.
Passing time..Passing time..
Passing time..

It turns out that Noe was waiting in the bank for four hours and was waiting for Frank (our taxi guy) to phone him to let him know we had arrived.
Then the rain started.Then the rain started.
Then the rain started.

Luckily Noe has a shelter.
3.5 hrs later3.5 hrs later
3.5 hrs later

We find a shop that sells under the counter beer.


10th June 2010

Goat walking!!
You would not believe my envy of your goat walking right now! I want to be there. xxx
10th June 2010

Hey Kumquat
It is soooo funny. We'd get in to all kinds of trouble if you were here too! xx
11th June 2010

Amazing
That house looks awesome, although I'm not sure about that bath. Also, goats bum photo? Really?
11th June 2010

Goat Walking!!
Can you imagine where we end up with them!! haha, we could have goat races :)
11th June 2010

Goat bums
He he, I thought it was funny. Yep, even though this is the first chance of a bath since leaving, I've decided to give it a miss. Yup, the house is spectacular. :O)
11th June 2010

Lovely place. Really admire Noe for his shoulder stand. Now, our question is, will we see Tarzan and Jane doing the same in the next blog?!?!? lots of love xxxx
13th June 2010

Ahhlokolokoloko
13th June 2010

ahhlokolokolokoloko
:O) xx
8th May 2011
View from the lounge

great View;-)

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb