We're flying......


Advertisement
Published: April 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The afternoon's adventures started soon after the visit to Monteverde - a zip wire course through the jungle canopy. You can see from the pictures that we had all the safety gear but it was still scary as we were flying through the air above the trees, just hanging from a wire. It was also hugely exhilarating (even if the harness was rather uncomfortable!) and, after the first few, we both calmed down enough to have a look around as we were flying along - the views were spectacular.

The course also included a tarzan swing from a ridiculous height which a number of our group did. After watching them try to grab people's legs to slow them down I felt that this risked too much injury to legs and back (oh, and also, I'm a complete chicken!) and we just watched the others and listened to the screams!

Back on solid ground we took a much calmer walk through the canopy following a path that took us over bridges at tree top level. To our amazement we saw another quetzal, really close to the bridge, and a number of other beautiful birds along with fantastic views across the tree tops.

Overall this has to rate as one of the best days of our trip so far and we decided to stay another couple of nights in Santa Elena instead of going back to San Jose as we were supposed to.

It was the last night that the group were going to be together so we had dinner and a few drinks in a cavernous, almost empty bar - the only place in town - before heading off to bed. The only hitch was finding, when we got back, that our toilet cistern was still leaking and that there was a huge wasp-like insect flying around the bathroom along with 2 brightly coloured beatles - I guess that's what you get for being in the cloud forest!

Lots of love

S + H xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb