Life Monteverde Service Project (by Terry)


Advertisement
Published: June 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

On Wednesday (January 26), our group did some volunteer work on a farm by the name of Life Monteverde. Working on the farm and learning about the different plants was an interesting experience. The farm is owned by a group of Fair Traders, which is trying to develop a system for small farm families to work together and improve their life. As of now, Life Monteverde has different programs in which they inform how coffee plantations where low environmental impact production practices are applied, production of organic fertilizers, tree nursery and reforestation with native species, poultry farm and organic garden, alternative energy, trails in secondary and primary forest, use of rainwater and knowledge resources. The first thing we did at Life Monteverde was plant trees on a hill which needs to be reforested for the future. After planting trees, we took a tour around the farm, which was beautiful. Later we saw the method of how to make methane using pig manure and we had a chance to feed the goats. The couple of hours that we worked on the farm was an interesting experience. As a group, we worked as a team and fulfilled our helpful duties.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Don Guillermo  Don Guillermo
Don Guillermo

He explains why we need to plant some trees here
Samantha and Emily Samantha and Emily
Samantha and Emily

Taking a well-deserved rest
Some Weeds are UsefulSome Weeds are Useful
Some Weeds are Useful

Don Guillermo finds a use for everything on his farm
Bicycle PowerBicycle Power
Bicycle Power

Lindsey powers the homemade machine to chop the goat food


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb