Day 25 Adventure day!!


Advertisement
Published: November 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we had our jungle tours planned! Tasha was doing the zipwire canopy tour - which there was no way Em was doing. (Even the thought of climbing up and having to zip down hundreds of meters through trees makes me feel weak at the knees!). Em chose to do the canopy bridge walk which was a bit of a challenge in itself!

Tash says: So off I head with our new pals Rosie and Cat, all of us feeling a little terrified. The guide shows us to the first zip which is only about 2 metres off the ground, we all think phew we get a practise run first... oooo noooo this was just for him to demonstrate, so then he shows us to the first one.... about 50mteres high! you didnt get anytime to be nervous as the attach you to the zip and off you go! i scream the whole way, and managed to spin myself which was one of the first things they said NOT to do. opps! But after the first one it became more and more easy, and more and more fun. The views were breathtaking and you could never get the same view from anywhere else. After a few zips we came to the...... TARZAN! A rope and platform which you throw yourself off of in the hopes you dont crash into a tree. This was terrifying but soooo fun! Last zip was by far the best, had some guide attached to me with his legs wrapped round my waist.... not awkward at all! But the zip was about 1km long and reeeaallly high! Wow!

Em says: off I went on my own as tasha, rosie and cat headed out for their death rides. Rucksack and camera clad I soon figured out I was definately the youngest there.. by far. It was really fun although I did feel a bit wobbly at bits as some of the bridges were really high above the jungle and you could see right down to the floor (what seemed miles away). The views were fab and the rain held off until the end. some BOZO thought it´d be funny to rock one of the bridges while we were on it...they were made of metal cables, but could still rock a good half meter each way, so I death stared him for a bit then quickly overtook them! Eventually I plucked up the courage to ask an OAP to take a picture of me on the bridge..alone.. lovely. Saw a poisonous snake too, so technically, my canopy walk could be seen as more terrifying and death challenging than tashas lame zip. Which of course it wasnt. The snake was far away, and the bridges relatively tame. But it was fun!!!

Back at the hostel we caught a taxi over to the bat museum (really would be fun to pretend the taxi was a bat mobile but we wont sink that low..)! A really nice Dutch guy (who was very into bats) told us all about the different types..they´re not really blind at all, have a 6th sense which a blind guy in USA actually managed to mimic so he could see while blind. woweeee. Anyway, more interestingly, we should all take care of bats. Infact, we should all invest in a bathouse for our gardens. Without bats, we would be without bananas and tequila...... they are the only pollinators of these products. Understand the importance now?!?! a life without tequila and bananas may be upon us! More interestingly (for Em´s Dad in particular..) it is illegal to kill a bat in the UK and you may face a fine of $5000 if caught. So lets keep that one a secret as we remember that little bat slumping out of a net onto the grass after you "rescued" it from Fionas house... Im sure he was just sleeping.

After an inspiring talk, we went into the bat observatory which was really interesting...their time has been slowly switched so its their night time during our day, so that we can see them doing their bat activities...even bat teenages hassle eachother trying to push eachother off their perches!

Thats quite a lot about bats...at least we are keeping you entertained AND well informed which is the best of both worlds we hope you agree.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb