Quepos - Manuel Antonio NP, Costa Rica


Advertisement
Published: February 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Paradise, we quickly realized that the rest of our vacation would be entirely different -- not worse or better, just different. We were dropped off by boat in the AM in Golfito and spent about 3 hours on the rocky beach waiting for our 2PM bus to Quepos. We read, chilled and played games-- followed by a fresh ceviche lunch. Delicious 😊

We got on the bus around 2:30 PM and arrived in Quepos right at dusk about 6-6:30PM. We met a very nice woman who helped us call a cab, and were dropped off at Casa Buena Vista. Casa Buena Vista was another gem that I found on airbnb -- Anita, has lived in her home or 38 years, she has 8 rooms (If I remember correctly) and loves having visitors with her for most of the year. We got settled and laid out all of our damp clothes (from the 90% humidity at Playa Nicuesa) and walked up the steep ass hill to the small part of town. Where we settled for delicious pizza -- tasted just like Italy. Yumm!

While we were in Quepos, we spent our first whole day checking out all of the beaches and small at the bottom of the hill -- the national park that we were there to see was closed on Mondays, so we had to wait until Tuesday. We laid in hammocks, walked the beach, ate and drank and then walked up the steep ass hill again where we enjoyed the sunset at La Mariposa, this fancy hotel with 180-degree views of the stunning sunset. umm can you say heaven? I can 😊 We had a little too much fun sucking down the drinks in the sunset.

The next morning we woke up early, packed our bags, ate breakfast and spent about four hours in Manuel Antonio National Park. We didn't get an overpriced tour guide, but we stuck with them long enough to see the animals. We hiked all over the trails, to all the lookouts and beaches. Manuel Antonio had absolutely stunning beaches and lush jungles.

At 2 PM our private shuttle arrived to drive us to Monte Verde. Along the way we made a stop when we crossed the crocodile bridge. Our driver said that he had seen over 40 crocodiles in there at one time. We crossed and saw 31 crocs -- they were between 5-6 meters in size. The only other place that I have ever even heard of these large ass crocs is from Captain Hook, so I thought it was all make believe. But, you will see in the photos these bad boys are HUGE. We were also told that they will eat anything. No returning if you fall over the ledge 😞 Kinda scary.

Crazy Fun Facts:


• All the palm trees on the side of the road that were planted for harvesting needs, is to make palm oil. We thought that it had to do with coconuts.
• 1 Hector of land can produce over 70,000 pineapples a year (Not the organic kind)
• Costa Rica exports over 4,000 products
• In cemeteries, people are buried; under ground, above ground, and both, stacking people on top of other people. This is not only for religious purposes but also because of the climate.


Animals sighted:

Sloths, Capuchin Monkey, Howler Monkey, frogs, a snake and crocodiles.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb