Catch up on where I've been


Advertisement
Published: September 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Some Profelis peopleSome Profelis peopleSome Profelis people

Left to right: Carlos (co-director), Roberto (vet), Carmen (co-director), Me, Cecilia (animal keeper)
Hi all,
I'm back in Santa Teresa (again!, what can I say? we love this place!) which means I can blog to my hearts content.

So here goes.. A photo update of Profelis, the centre Ali and I have just left after working and doing research there for the last month. We had very rewarding experiences at Profelis, enjoying the company of wonderful, like-minded, people who were willing to share all manner of information.
It is a real shame they are closing down this particular centre, a result of difficulties with the owner private land on which the centre is based. They have a directive based in San Carlos however, and the cats will be relocated there at the end of September. Welfare standards are very high in both places. I wish I could go into detail about their management of the cats and their goals etc but don't want to bore you. I'll save that for when we get back!
Basically, Profelis was an incredibly well run centre that allowed us to come in, organise research, collect all kinds of information, work hands on with the animals, and have a lot of fun!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Margay FeedMargay Feed
Margay Feed

Ali feeding one of the margay (Mogli). Feeding is done once a day on a variable time schedule, and presented either scattered, in a swing feeder or by hand (depending on the day and the individual)
Profelis groundsProfelis grounds
Profelis grounds

Just a glimpse of part of the Profelis grounds. Can you believe the whole place had only one gardner! But then most of the 4250ha is secondary tropical forest
Just because its interesting...Just because its interesting...
Just because its interesting...

This is a female ocelot, Clara, in recovery following a normal spey operation. Roberto, the vet, suspected abnormal growths and since she will not be used for breeding, removal was the best prevention


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb