Waterfalls in Costa Rica for a Delightful Travel Experience


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Costa Rica is a fun-filled and adventurous place known for its gorgeous natural beauty. From jungle trekking, scuba diving, fishing, to night parties, clubs, discos, and more, this place has it all. You must have heard about the natural glory of Costa Rica.

If you are planning a trip with one of the best tour companies in Costa Rica, then make sure you cover its serene waterfalls. Here check the best waterfalls in Costa Rica.

La Fortuna Waterfall

Probably, this is one of the most popular waterfalls in Costa Rica. This waterfall is located outside the popular destination La Fortuna and is a perfect place to enjoy with family. The falls have a visitor’s center with changing rooms and bathroom facilities.

You can reach the falls by walking down 500 steep stairs, which might be challenging if you are carrying small kids. This waterfall appears like a stunning white ribbon flowing from a lush green backdrop. Though you can swim here, be little cautious as the pool is sometimes rough.

Rio Celeste Waterfall

This is another lovely waterfall in Costa Rica with a magical cascade. It has an attractive blue color, which looks amazing and is real. This waterfall gets its natural blue hue from a chemical reaction that naturally occurs between the volcano-rich area and minerals.

The access route to the Rio Celeste waterfall is through the jungle trails located at Tenorio Volcano National Park. The hike is quite difficult as it is muddy and shady but there are only 250 stairs that you have to climb. Swimming here is restricted.

Catarate del Toro

This is a unique waterfall in Costa Rica that flows into a volcanic crater. The pool walls are lined with vivid oranges, greens, and reds remnants from the acidic Crater Lake. It is one of the largest waterfalls in Costa Rica at 300 feet.

You can reach its base by hiking down 375 steps. The steps are quite muddy and irregular and are careful as you may slip down. Trekking here is not for everyone but once you reach the top, the view is stunning. There is also an on-site restaurant and nice trails alongside.

Llanos de Cortez Waterfall

This one is convenient to reach and is located right amidst the arid forests of Guanacaste Province. Guanacaste receives the least amount of rain in Costa Rica. But this wide waterfall is different as it never runs out of the water no matter how sunny and dry it is in the nearby regions.

It is a nice place for couples to spend hours. The route is via beaches of Guanacaste where you can also have a great lunch with friends and family. It is great to swim in the calm pool of the waterfall.

Nauyaca Waterfalls

It is one of the biggest waterfalls in Costa Rica and among the most favorite ones of the tourists. The waterfall is set in Costa Rica’s jungle in Southern zone. This waterfall has two incredible tiers, with a beautiful natural pool for swimming.

In order to access the waterfall, you have to hike barefoot as the steps are quite slippery. Before you start the final descent, you can change in the changing room. For those who do not want to hike can opt for horseback tours offered by the best tour companies in Costa Rica.

While these are some of the major waterfalls in Costa Rica, which you must not miss, there are other waterfalls too in the city. Watching a waterfall is a treat to the eyes and swimming in the natural pool is undoubtedly a delightful experience. If you are planning a trip to Costa Rica, make sure you do visit these waterfalls.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.663s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb