Potrero and Manuel Antonio


Advertisement
Published: November 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Manuel Antonio

Monteverde to Potrero to Manuel Antonio.

The journey from Monteverde to Potrero was slow but uneventful and we arrived just in time to watch the electrician installing a security alarm on our house. The previous tennent had just had a break in and the people renting the place to us gave us a long security talk which left us nervous rather than reasured. It was a lovely place though with a swimming pool and only a 5 minute walk to the beach. The town of Potrero is tiny, you can walk from one end to the other in half an hour, and it was quiet as most buisnesses close in October for the rainy season. It is located on the Pacific coast in the northern region of Guanacaste, the whole coast line of this region is very popular for beach holidays, and a lot of North Americans come to live hear. Mark had naturally done a bit of fishy research and found a contact who could take him kayak fishing when he wasn't busy catching fish from the shore. A very pretty shore line it was too and being the low season we had the beach pretty much to ourselves. Our time passed without incident, no alarms set off! We found it to be a relaxing area that we would go back to.



We headed down the Pacific coast to the town of Manuel Antonio just outside the national reserve of the same name. We stayed in a b&b not far from the park entrance, built into a hillside the terrace was near treetop height so was perfect for sitting out and watching the wildlife. We saw two kinds of howler monkey, capuchin monkeys, humming birds, and lots of different butterfies and lizards. We had two beaches a short but steep walk away. Playa Espadilla was huge and beautiful, white sand with trees on one side and waves crashing on the other, the other beach was a tiny cove which was much safer for swimming and deserted apart from one man in a hammock waiting to sell cold drinks. We decided not to go into the national park as we have been to quite few already and as we could see so much wild life from where we were staying anyway we decided it wasn't worth it. After speaking to some tourists who did go in we think we made the right decision. Their experience was of too many people feeding the monkeys and racoons, taking flash photos right in the animals faces and the park rangers just being ignored, I think we would have just found it frustrating.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Rooster fishRooster fish
Rooster fish

Recovering in a rock pool after being caught by Mark in Potrero.
PotreroPotrero
Potrero

very pretty beach that we almost always had to ourselves
Puffer fishPuffer fish
Puffer fish

Found in a rock pool in Potrero


8th November 2013

Fishy Paradise
Guess Mark must have thought he was in Paradise!
9th November 2013

Plentiful Potrero
So glad that Mark now appears to be catching plenty of fish of all different shapes and sizes ! Your trip continues to sound wonderful - especially now you are in the Carribean - my type of climate - even if it is the rainy season ! Loved the views from your accomadation - you certainly didn't need to visit the National Park - looked like you had your own on your door-step ! Take care, keep safe x

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb