Idependence Day, Costa Rican Style


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Alajuela » Naranjo
September 16th 2006
Published: September 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Friday, September 15th was Independence Day for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Panama and Nicaragua. All of the cantons celebrated with parades of local school children.

We chose to watch the parade in Naranjo, a nearby town instead of our home town of San Ramon as our friend is a director of a school there. We were excited to see our friends marching in our first Independence Day Parade. It was something none of us will soon forget.

We arrived at the central park at 7:30a.m. not knowing what to expect. What we found was a celebration taking place at the school closest to the park. We didn't understand what was going on but the pride in the people participating was evident. Seeing that pride touched my heart. Bill and Callista razzed me unrelentlessly about being so emotional.

We circled the park several times watching as all the different schools from the town began to arrive and assemeble at predetermined locations to prep for the parade. Each school had their own costumes and colors. Their were children from preschool thru high school participating.

Around 10a.m. the parade finally started. So many drums and so little asprin. I
Young participantsYoung participantsYoung participants

These guys were sooooo cute! Boys in red and khaki, girls in polka dots.
didn't understand when friend told me she'd bet there'd be a lot of drums. We felt sorry for all those little ones waiting in the sun for the parade to start as people read speeches and sang the national anthem. Callista and I had to ask Bill to get us an umbrella out of the car as WE couldn't handle the sun anymore.

I turned to look at Bill after a few of the groups had passed just in time to see a tear fall. Ah hah! It touched him too. I don't know if it was the pride parents have at watching their children or if it was pride for their country that we witnessed. I do know that you could feel whatever pride it was in the air. It was contageous.

Next year, we'll fly a flag at our house and participate in the other traditions during the week that lead up to the day of parades. We had seen the running of the torch pass our house but don't now the whole story behind it. We've also learned that at 6pm one night prior to Independence Day lanterns are lit. Any Ticos out there reading
Little campasinoLittle campasinoLittle campasino

Again...tooooo cute! Some of the boys had drawn mustaches on their faces as well.
who care to enlighten us on all the traditions associated with the day?

I don't know when we turned into active participants instead of the hermits we'd been in the states. Perhaps it's living instead of existing. Costa Rica changes people!

PURA VIDA!
Jen, Bill, Callista and Bear


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Callista & I waiting for the parade to startCallista & I waiting for the parade to start
Callista & I waiting for the parade to start

The sun can be brutal so we've learned to use our umbrella for shade like the locals.
Too Cute!Too Cute!
Too Cute!

How could one not take a picture of her?
Sol marching with her schoolSol marching with her school
Sol marching with her school

We rent our house from Sol's parents. They've become awesome friends.
TwirlersTwirlers
Twirlers

Calli and I really liked the costumes. Amazing how they could march and dance in those heels!
Boy ScoutsBoy Scouts
Boy Scouts

Yep, those are girls with them. They don't separate the sexes here. They're all "boy scouts".
Parade watchersParade watchers
Parade watchers

Amazing how many people were out to support the children.
Celebration at the school near the parkCelebration at the school near the park
Celebration at the school near the park

We were looking for our friends and stumbled upon this celebration.
Middle school twirlersMiddle school twirlers
Middle school twirlers

Callista really like these costumes!
Traditional Costa Rican costumesTraditional Costa Rican costumes
Traditional Costa Rican costumes

Many of the young children were wearing these dresses.


Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb