What volcano?


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Alajuela » Arenal
January 17th 2009
Published: January 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

La Fortuna had apparently been a sleepy farming community until a rather spectacular eruption of its nearby volcano in 1968. Since then regular minor volcanic activity had drawn the tourists and catalysed the arrival of souvenir shops, restaurants, cafes, hotels and spas to service the predominantly American visitors. La Fortuna was really the first clear sign on our trip that the impacts of the financial crisis is global in the full sense of the word. Empty hotels, deserted restaurants and tour guides sweating on another day of no sales. The impact may have also been compounded by a recent nearby little judder perhaps putting off more of the legendarily worrisome American tourists.

The excitement was not so much about seeing the volcano in all its splendour, it never actually emerged from the clouds, but the prospect that it might reveal itself. Having lined up balconied volcano view rooms for the parents we sat poised ready to take the ultimate holiday snap but the moment didn’t arrive. For us, however, there was some consolidation. According to two Brits that we met during our transfer out the much watched cone had not been seen for three months. For the local tourist dependant economy it was more news to further dampen the spirits.

The absence of the star attraction was unfortunate but the incredible array of wildlife that the parents were provided was impressive with most of the sightings in our hotel grounds. Nature was metaphorically and the iguanas were quite literally, falling out of the trees. The holiday was in full swing and we were benefiting nicely from a hotel to ourselves and highly attentive restaurant staff keen to relieve the boredom of another quiet night. Next we move to the mountain town of Santa Elena and in close reach of Costa Rica’s most famous reserve the Monteverde cloud forest.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb