ON THE ROAD at Bonaire in the Caribbean


Advertisement
Published: May 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

KralendijkKralendijkKralendijk

Craft Market across the road from the pier
Our first visit to the island of Bonaire was quite pleasant. The island is uncrowded with a population of only 17,000 compared with 103,000 on the smaller island of Aruba and 150,000 on the bigger island of Curacao. There was enough to see and do to make a future visit worthwhile. If you are into diving or beaches than a long stay may be just the thing. Bonaire has very beautiful and sandy beaches, especially on the western shore of the southern part of the island. Bonaire has the best snorkeling and diving of the three ABC islands. Bonaire has over 50 designated diving spots. The craft market is conveniently located right across the street from the end of the pier where we had docked. It is small but the quality of goods offered is very high. After perusing the market we walked around the small town of Kralendijk (It means "Coral Reef"). It is not large but does offer some very nice gift shops and has some waterfront restaurants and bars.

We arranged to hire a taxi for a 2 to 3 hour tour of the North end of the island which featured a scenic cliff road, a lake
KralendijkKralendijkKralendijk

Waterfront
with flamingos and a cultural park. There is only one option for public transportation on Bonaire (aside from guided tours), and that is a taxi. A public bus system does not exist on the island. Taxis are widely available and are a good way to explore the island. Fares are fixed by the government, but it is always a good idea to agree on the price of a trip before starting the journey. Island tours cost $25 per hour for two persons. We were very fortunate that we hooked up with Therese as our driver as she has lived here most of her life except for a period when her family returned to Holland. She also has her own tour company, Royal Tours and is a licensed real estate agent. She really knows what is happening on the entire island. Her contact information is at the end of this piece.

Bonaire is a safe and quiet island without even one stoplight. The pace is slow and leisurely and the natives are friendly. Small to mid-sized cruise ships dock several days per week during the winter, almost overwhelming the port city of Kralendijk. Slow down and enjoy your visit.
Fort Oranje circa 1639Fort Oranje circa 1639Fort Oranje circa 1639

Hall of Justice and Lighthouse



Therese Rosier (599) 785-9900 Taxi 36 http://www.bonairetaxi.net/


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Protestant ChurchProtestant Church
Protestant Church

Protestante Kerk van Kralendijk
Craft MarketCraft Market
Craft Market

Vision of the Seas in the Background
KralendijkKralendijk
Kralendijk

Main shopping street is only a few blocks long
The Salt ShopThe Salt Shop
The Salt Shop

The Saltshop and Mister Saltman, for original Bonaire Sea Salt, She and Sea body/beauty salt products and only 'Made in Bonaire' locally manufactured products.
KralendijkKralendijk
Kralendijk

Karel's Beach Bar
KralendijkKralendijk
Kralendijk

Karel's Beach Bar
Limestone CavesLimestone Caves
Limestone Caves

on the scenic cliff road to the North


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb