Escape


Advertisement
Published: March 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello,
Tracey has been booted off for a lacklustre performance last time, so stuck with me for now.....
Finally escaped Mexico, with most of my intestines in tact, huzAAR, though its still lingering around. but where i am now, i couldnt care, glorious sun, beaches and the Carribean sea, nice and toastie!
So, Mexico.
MXC was pretty good, apart from the guys playing there Harmonipan, some kind of wind up noise machine that just, well, made an excuse for music that hurt the head a lot! And the shere number of police, wow. The Daily Mail readers would rejoice, bobbies on the beat and all, but it was pretty akin to what i imagine a fascist state to be, not all that reassuring mainly due to the size of the guns on show! thing is, i think they are mainly there to stop ruckuss at roundabouts as that where they congregate, and the way they drive, i can see some Tarantino style violence errupting fairly often. And SEGWAYS, the police there have gotten there paws on segways, especially at the airports...i didnt see any fall off, but maybe on the way back i'll make one chase me and see how good they really are!
Sorry if i am going over stuff already said by the way.
San Cristobal was a brilliant place, beautful streets, wicked setting, though cold at times. oh, and our hostel, some kind of hippe retreat, was nice, except each nite from about 9 a fusion of 90s techno, 80s electronica and Haddaway kicked in. ah, a nice cocktail you may think, but even the best mix can be ruined by the barman. truly horrible!
Still, i got to watch some of the no.1 soap in mexico over a fresh juice; consisted of shouting and close up angry faces and the odd love triangle kissing action. much like 'Enders, must be a worldwide formula then.
They were getting ready for the easter festivities whilst we were there,and the place was buzzing. most of the taxis had been dolled up like fairground dodgems, neon lights and pink number plates, though i got a tad scarred as one with a visor titled The Death stalked the streets. Mad Max all over again.
I wont mention the journey to Palenque which was the worst thing in my life, worse than getting there and not being able to see the bloody things, like going to paris and the eiffel tower not being around, aaaarrggh! A true moment of ground bound turbulence in a toilet, yuk.
that contrasts the bus journey from mexico to belize, in an older bus with more leg room than you could imagine, comfy old leather seats, and a driver with heavy right foot. was a good journey, and funny when we stopped off in a place called Orange Walk for what we thought was 2 minutes, until the driver and his conductor got off and started chowing down for lunch for the next half hour, and we would of loved the loo, but i couldnt find one and then we didnt want to get left behind! Its strange Belize, in that you have one amazing ranch style condo, with a mile or so of run down poor cabins around them, like theyre lord of the manor...the wealthy and poor havent seemed to seperate themselves like other places yet, as they just go where theres land i suppose.
i'll add some pics of the flight over to this little corner of Belize soon. Placencia, a little peninsula to the south of the country. our taxi from the bus station in belize city dropped us at the terminal, abound with leather chairs and TV and staff in a high heel short skirt competition when the really shouldnt. so funny.
oh, the taxi. some sort of 60s brown Lincoln continental. honestly, you couldnt see the end of the bonnett, the rims were like something Snoop would be proud of, i felt such the boy pimping it in that thing, an awesome machine! the arrival bit at the airport was 8ft 8 inches, and he only just fitted in there. now thats a lorry really, not a car, right! still, getting one when i am richer(er)
at the airport, we just missed the 2.30, so plumped for the 4.30, which went in no time at all, watching these little Cessnas land wasnt the best idea, but i enjoyed it more than the big planes, i wasnt in the slightest bit scared... but we were in the very front seat, and i could easil of reached over and taken the controls, it was basically a taxi with wings, and was so awesome seeing little islands and the turqoise sea below...the mega short runways arent for the feint hearted though! The last leg of the journey there was only tracey me and another girl in there, like a private charter plane :o)
We're staying here for 5 or so nights, but not really sure how to get out of belize, we can fly again, or bus towards the Mayan Mountains and go to see the highest waterfall in cntral america, or get a water taxi to Gautemala and then go up the Rio Dulce, a canyoned river spilling with jungle and most likely locals with poisened darts, so we'll have to see.
well, getting hot feet after walking around trying to find the england game (the sports bar is shut, RUBBISH!) so will sign out for mow. Love to all and enjoy the horrid weather the man on CNN said europe was having, ha haa haaaaa x


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb