San Ignacio


Advertisement
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post


The first stop was San Ignacio. A small town with not much to it. It did have an English bar showing the premiership so I was more and happy. I got to watch the Utd v Sheff Utd game the first game I have watched in months.

The reason we came here was because of the river and lagoons. We decided to explore in a kayak and a guide. There were lots of different wildlife including iguanas and crocodiles. The iguanas were everywhere and huge up to 2 meters long and just lazing about and basking in the sun at the tops of trees. The guide was very good pointing everything out as we would of missed most things otherwise. He even managed to spot a small Boa snake and scoop it out of the water and then it bit him on the finger! Lucky it was not poisonous and only small! We stopped on a medicine trail where they point out all different plants and trees which cure different illnesses and diseases. An American doctor set up the plantation. She has made her self very rich by selling these products to the big pharmaceutical companies. The sad thing is she stole all the knowledge from one of the local which doctors! The story goes that she came on holiday to Belize and then heard of this doctor, she was amazed on what he could cure so she asked for his secrets he refused. She then moved to Belize and worked in the local village and kept pestering the doctor. None of the local men wanted to know the secrets as they have moved in to the modern world and were not interested. As the man was getting very old and didn’t want the knowledge to disappear he passed it on to her free of charge as in there culture the doctor cannot ask for any payment for hi services. He also asked her to promise to not use this knowledge to profit, as it’s a secret of the gods. Well being a sneaky American she waited until he died and then started the ball rolling and now she is rolling in it. So much for keeping a promise and having any sort of integrity!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 104; dbt: 0.1886s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb