A little town called San Pedro... Part 1!


Advertisement
Published: August 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Endless crystal blue beaches and killer mojitos are just a few of the positive things I could say about Belize. Just a two hour flight away from the United States, San Pedro, Belize is a popular tropical paradise. My flight to Belize City took just a good two hours from Houston, Texas and while landing you could already spy beautiful jungles all around. The airport was small and the lines to get through customs are quite a pain but the excitement of being somewhere washes it away. Stepping foot outside the arrivals door you are immediately hit with jungle heat. Taxis are right outside and you can flag on to the next airport for about 30 Belize dollars which is only 15 US dollars. The drive is quite short but long enough to make you wish you were not wearing jeans in the heat. The cabbies are lovely and carry all your bags right into the airport for you. This second tropical airport is just a building about the size of a gas station, the Tropic Air tickets cost about $230 for two people for the flight to San Pedro and back. The most terrifying moment of this travel day is when you see the size of the airplane they will be loading you on... It's very Indiana Jonesesque and when boarding makes you feel like quite the adventurer until the nausea of takeoff hits you. I spent the entire flight trying not to hurl on my sister who was very much enjoying the flight and the gorgeous in flight scenery. After 20 panicky minutes we land in San Pedro, Belize. Once stepping foot off the tiny plane of death, the walk to get your bags is incredibly easy it takes two minutes and your already out of the airport. We collected our bags and marched down the road to our hotel the Banana Beach Resort. It's a cheerful looking stuccoed building with many tropical tree groves in the front and a large drive way. The lobby is thankfully freezing and you are immediately offered ice cold coconut water. Which for the record is absolutely scrumptious, much much better than the stuff they sell you at the store. We were given a beautiful suite on the first floor with a nice kitchen and stock loaded on Jimmy Buffet CDS. We prioritized our to do list and immediately put on a rocking Jimmy Buffet CD and put on our bikinis, list completed. I slathered on the sunscreen and stayed moderatly not burnt, my sister did not put any on and suffered all week. Sunscreen is your saving grace here, do NOT leave your room without it, or you will burn within a very short amount of time and have to sneak some aloe from your hotels garden. Check out the photos accompanied to see what I mean 😉 Part 2 will be up soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb