The Big City


Advertisement
Published: March 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Happy St. Patty's Day! We didn't take in any celebrations last night. Yesterday we decided to visit the big city of San Pedro on the island of Ambergris Caye. After almost being run over a hundred time by golf carts, bicycles and Smart Cars we were more than happy to return to Caye Caulker.

Ambergris Caye is actually more of a peninsula than an island. In the ancient Mayan times the Mayan people cut a channel through the small peninsula to make the movement of goods easier. Otherwise they would have to sail all the way around to the end of the Caye and back up again. The channel is recognized as the border between Belize and Mexico.

Ambergris is arguably the most developed place in Belize for tourism. The eastern side of the island is lined with hotels, resorts, restaurants, and shops. I'm not 100% sure if any of the resorts are all inclusive. I don't think there are any but I'd could be wrong. Like I said in my first paragraph there are more and bigger vehicle on the island. The streets are cobblestone. They are not very wide so be careful! Always look before you cross. I sound like a kindergarten teacher but some people are so busy gawking that they forget this. I am one of these gawkers.

There are some really nice things about the island. There are nicer beaches there than what you will find on Caye Caulker but it's kind of hard to just park yourself anywhere because a lot of the beach front is controlled by the adjacent hotel or resort and is for their patrons only. There are tons of dive shops in Ambergris and it is probably consider the diving Mecca in Belize, although pretty much any of the coastal villages and towns offer guided tours or charters.

This is the island to stay if you are looking for a bit of upscale comfort. It's probably also the best place to stay if you have small children, especially with all that nice beach. It seems to be where all the fancy sailboats and yachts like to park too.

Today we leave Caye Calker to go to Punta Gorda. It's down in the south and we haven't been there yet. Looking forward to some new scenery and experiences.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb