CHRISTMAS IN THE CARIBBEAN


Advertisement
Published: January 14th 2024
Edit Blog Post

CHEERS!CHEERS!CHEERS!

We toasted Aruba as we sailed off to Curaçao.
As the holidays were approaching and the weather in Florida was turning cooler, we decided to celebrate the holidays some place warm and watery. So on December 16 we flew to Barbados in the southern Caribbean, spent the night in a lovely seaside hotel and then boarded the Seabourn Ovation the next morning for a 10 day cruise in the Lesser Antillean Islands.

We were amazed by the beautiful holiday decorations all around the Ovation and the warm welcome we received from the staff and crew. This is the same ship we sailed on last April from Miami to England and it felt like coming home for the holidays.

Most of the islands we visited were new to us, so it was fun to explore these tropical paradises. Our first stop was at Bequia, a tiny island only 7 square miles in size. Guadeloupe was next up. They have a quaint downtown filled with many shops stuffed with imported Chinese goods somewhat akin to our dollar stores. The friendly residents are French speaking. The town of Basse-terre sits in the shadow of a large volcano.

St Martin is another former French colony with the requisite fortress towering over
GUADALOUPE FOLK DANCERSGUADALOUPE FOLK DANCERSGUADALOUPE FOLK DANCERS

A festive dance group greeted us cruisers off the Ovation.
the island. It is filled with beautiful beaches. This island suffered from Hurricane Irma in 2017 and is still recovering. This same hurricane also inflicted damage to our Florida stomping grounds as it made its way north that year.

Next up was St Kitts-Nevis. We took our Distinctive Voyages group on a tour of this lovely island through the old town and then up to Brimstone Hill Fortress. This was designed by the British in the 1700s and built with slave labor. Now it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Upon returning to the port the Ovation was hosting its famous champagne and caviar beach bbq party. Seabourn rents the Carambola Beach Club for the party. It is quite a challenge for the crew since all the food and drinks need to be brought ashore by tender. But they never ran out of champagne and there was plenty of lobster and caviar to go around. We even had a steel drum band for entertainment.

After four straight port days it was nice to have a sea day to enjoy the many things the Ovation has to offer. We were fortunate to have Steve Wozniak and his wife
BLUE CHRISTMASBLUE CHRISTMASBLUE CHRISTMAS

Seabourn Ovation sparkled with gorgeous decorations.
Janet on board as guest lecturers. Together with Steve Jobs, the”Woz” launched the personal computer industry with the creation of Apple Computers. Woz and Janet did two “Question and Answer” sessions which were informative and fun. Along with being a genius, the Woz is quite a jokester. They were both very approachable and we had several interesting conversations with them about life and computers.

In Aruba we took a sailing and snorkeling tour. The Caribbean waters were still warm this time of year and the visibility was quite good. We saw lots of colorful fish and a few turtles. Aruba is known as the “Windy Island” and it lived up to its name. That wind prevented us from diving on the famous Antilla shipwreck which is considered one of the 10 best snorkel sites in the world. Oh well, maybe next time.

We awoke the following morning as we entered the harbor of Willemstad, Curacao. This island is a gem that reflects its Dutch heritage beautifully. Even though it was Christmas Eve day we were able to explore both sides of the city via the famous floating pedestrian Queen Emma Pontoon Bridge. It is a unique destination to
“THE WOZ”  APPLE CO-FOUNDER“THE WOZ”  APPLE CO-FOUNDER“THE WOZ” APPLE CO-FOUNDER

We enjoyed our conversations with Steve and Janet Wozniak.
visit and a great walking town.

The ship’s staff put on a wonderful Christmas show plus caroling on the pool deck and a visit by Santa. Very well done.

Our final port was Carriacou, Grenada. We went to Paradise Beach, which turned out to be the nicest beach on the whole cruise. It was voted the Best Caribbean Beach in 2022. Crystal clear calm waters surrounded by miles of white sand beach shaded by sea grape, coconut, and almond trees. It was a fitting ending to a lovely holiday cruise. Happy New Year to all!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

BRIDGETOWN CATHEDRALBRIDGETOWN CATHEDRAL
BRIDGETOWN CATHEDRAL

A living legacy to the British colonial days.
TOURING ST KITTSTOURING ST KITTS
TOURING ST KITTS

We had a real fun group of guests to share the ride.
DOWNTOWN CURAÇAO DOWNTOWN CURAÇAO
DOWNTOWN CURAÇAO

You might imagine yourself on a street in Holland.
THE QUEEN EMMA PONTOON BRIDGETHE QUEEN EMMA PONTOON BRIDGE
THE QUEEN EMMA PONTOON BRIDGE

Built in the 1800s, this Curaçao bridge swings open for vessels.
QUEEN EMMA BRIDGE OPENEDQUEEN EMMA BRIDGE OPENED
QUEEN EMMA BRIDGE OPENED

Several pedestrians stayed on the bridge throughout the process.
OPEN AIR MARKETOPEN AIR MARKET
OPEN AIR MARKET

The exotic fruits and vegetables filled the air with sweetness.
ARTISTIC SCULPTUREARTISTIC SCULPTURE
ARTISTIC SCULPTURE

We got a kick out of this one in Willemstad.
ROSE PETALS AND BUBBLES TUBROSE PETALS AND BUBBLES TUB
ROSE PETALS AND BUBBLES TUB

Our suite stewardesses added a little flare to our bath.
STREET MURALSTREET MURAL
STREET MURAL

This beauty is on a side street in Curaçao. No graffiti!
3 BUBS IN A TUB3 BUBS IN A TUB
3 BUBS IN A TUB

Sharing Champagne with our British friends.
GALLEY TOURGALLEY TOUR
GALLEY TOUR

We were entertained by Jes, the executive chef.
SNORKELING IN ARUBASNORKELING IN ARUBA
SNORKELING IN ARUBA

We admired this old timer still in use.
ST. KITTS IS FILLED WITH GOATS AND DONKEYSST. KITTS IS FILLED WITH GOATS AND DONKEYS
ST. KITTS IS FILLED WITH GOATS AND DONKEYS

This little guy can maneuver the steep cliffs effortlessly.
SEABOURN FAMOUS CHAMPAGNE 🥂 CAVIAR BEACH PARTYSEABOURN FAMOUS CHAMPAGNE 🥂 CAVIAR BEACH PARTY
SEABOURN FAMOUS CHAMPAGNE 🥂 CAVIAR BEACH PARTY

A real classy act on St Kitts’ Carambola Beach.
HELDERHELDER
HELDER

Our talented bar manager hails from Portugal.
CHAMPAGNE SUSAN CHAMPAGNE SUSAN
CHAMPAGNE SUSAN

Susan raises the Seabourn flag as the “dead soldiers” pile up.
LOULA, SUSAN, KEVIN & SANTALOULA, SUSAN, KEVIN & SANTA
LOULA, SUSAN, KEVIN & SANTA

We all gathered on Christmas morning for cheer.
HOLIDAY DISPLAYHOLIDAY DISPLAY
HOLIDAY DISPLAY

Everywhere we looked there were festive decorations.
YOURS TRULYYOURS TRULY
YOURS TRULY

We took a few moments on our Distinctive Voyages tour to savor the views from atop St Kitts.
PARADISE BEACHPARADISE BEACH
PARADISE BEACH

This remote beach in Grenada was one of our favorites.
CARIBBEAN SUNSETCARIBBEAN SUNSET
CARIBBEAN SUNSET

One can never have too many.


14th January 2024

Winter trip
Looks like quite an enjoyable trip. Thanks for sharing yet another Susan & Kevin adventure. Happy 2024 to both!🎉💕
17th January 2024

Linda❤️Tom
Ahoy you Love Birds! Very nice of you to write. Thanks for the compliment. Especially when it comes from veteran travelers like yourselves. Peace in the New Year! Love from us, Kevin🌴Susan
14th January 2024

Such fond memories
I am so happy for the two of you!💚💚💚💚
17th January 2024

Michael Kalm
Ahoy Michael, it’s always rewarding to hear from you. You light up our lives❤️. Love from your friends, Kevin🌴Susan
15th January 2024

Living the dream
No matter what your status or position, these memories will always be with you. Travel on ! . . . Oh, GREAT pics.
17th January 2024

Guy & Pat
Ahoy Guy & Pat, great hearing from you. We loved your photos over Christmas. Your neighborhood really goes first class! We look forward to seeing you next July in Lockport. Go DeSales!
16th January 2024
“THE WOZ”  APPLE CO-FOUNDER

Thanks
The ovation trfip for the holidassou def wonderful as did Ovation. Have never tried Seabourb. Will have to do so.
17th January 2024
“THE WOZ”  APPLE CO-FOUNDER

Larry & Karen
Ahoy Larry & Karen, thank you for your nice comment. We always enjoyed sharing cruise with you two. Let’s hope we can do it again. Love seeing you on AFB with your family and friends. Love from us💕

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb