Home Of The Pirates


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 13.11, -59.61

Having finished with Brazil, we're heading for home with a couple of Caribbean stops on the way. First up is Barbados, formerly a British colony and currently one of the more popular island stops (particularly for those overpaid types whose sole contribution to world peace is bouncing a ball or singing a song)- the islands' most recent claim to fame was the hosting of the Tiger Woods wedding. We turned Don T loose on a chatty cab driver/tour guide and he beat him down to a reasonable all day fare for the four of us and a couple of other new friends.

Not having seen any monkeys since Sri Lanka (with the exception of few hairy dress-wearing gorillas in Salvador) our first stop had to be the Green Monkeys of Barbados (apparently in a certain light their fur appears to be green??). I'm not sure Chris M is even following the blog anymore due to the lack of monkey pics but just in case he is I overdid the primate photography once again. Imported from Senegal and The Gambia, these furry critters spend most of their time irritating the homeowners in the tonier sections of Barbados. And speaking of tony, Don T wanted to drop in on the local high end golf course to see what he was missing out on- he had tried to parlay his B.C. golf course membership into a discounted rate on these ritzy greens but apparently the locals weren't impressed by his status as lead pro at the Richmond Pitch, Putt, & Carwash, so there were no free rounds to be had.

After dodging some goat-like Barbados Blackbelly Sheep, we took in another Mushroom Rock, another cave, some curious rock paintings, and a couple of really nice looking beaches. It was a fun way to spend the day and gave us a pretty good synopsis of Barbados. Our driver even added a fair bit of social commentary as he pointed out the differences between the wealthy foreigners who were gobbling up primo beachfront properties while driving up the cost of living, and the locals- many of whom were still living in former slave homes (since they couldn't own land, slaves built homes on a stack of stones so they could move the house easily).

Back to the ship just in time to catch the harpist.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



9th April 2013

Alan and I came here on our honey-moonbig sigh
9th April 2013

ooooohhhh ahhhhhhh
10th April 2013

Wow! Spoiled Rotten : ))
10th April 2013

Beautiful Beach! I wanna go there :( It's on my BUCKET LIST!!
10th April 2013

I would love to be sitting on that beach right now! Ahhh just the thought!
10th April 2013

Great memory of a great Island. Loads of fun with folks that were not over 80 years of age. Great pictures of the Rock Murals as well. Thanks Vic for your loaded Blog
10th April 2013

And you talk about the graffiti here in Melbourne!
10th April 2013

Trying to picture you two on that cruise ship!!and as for that breakfast...how many people actually make it off!!Is that a limestone cave or some erotic rustafarian sex shop
10th April 2013

Actually, that craft requires a hell of a lot of talent and practise. I wonder what else they can make?
10th April 2013

Please don't tell me that you bought one and took it home with you Vic!
10th April 2013

Baaaaahahahahahaha!!!!!
10th April 2013

I don't think Indiana Jones ever travelled in luxury like this!
10th April 2013

Very Nice!! Definitely a submission to National Geographic!!
10th April 2013

Don't think Sydney would be the go...Melbourne would be better!!! :-)
10th April 2013

Handsome little guy!
10th April 2013

I wonder what happens if you run over their tail with the car?
10th April 2013

At least they eat healthy!
10th April 2013

Love the face!
11th April 2013

He has a disturbing likeness to many of our federal MPs during a parliamentary session - only with just a tad more intelligence in his countenance!
12th April 2013

Hey Vic, you are too funny. Chris wondered what happened to all the monkey photos.
12th April 2013

Wow, I could make a comment but I won't.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb