Dolphin Interaction


Advertisement
Published: January 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Two days swimming alongside the dolphins at Dolphin Cay was an experience of a lifetime!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Dolphin AdventureDolphin Adventure
Dolphin Adventure

Posing with Paolo, our Bottlenose Dolphin for the day.
Dolphin CayDolphin Cay
Dolphin Cay

The Dolphin Cay habitat at Atlantis is among the largest and most sophisticated marine habitats and animal rescue-rehabilitation facilities in the world. The first residents of Dolphin Cay were 16 rescued dolphins, who were swept to sea during Hurricane Katrina from their previous home at the Marine Life Oceanarium in Gulfport, Mississippi.
Dolphin Cay HabitatDolphin Cay Habitat
Dolphin Cay Habitat

The habitat contains nearly seven million gallons of sea water within three lagoons surrounded by a white sand beach.
Waiting Our TurnWaiting Our Turn
Waiting Our Turn

We decided to arrive early so that we could enjoy the sandy beach and watch the dolphins play.
Suited Up!Suited Up!
Suited Up!

Before jumping into the water, we all suited up...quite smexy!
Iconic PoseIconic Pose
Iconic Pose

As we walked into the water, there were many dolphins swimming around. We were introduced to the dolphins we'd be interacting with. We were asked to stand where the trainer told us to, simply because the dolphins are VERY strong, fast, and PLAYFUL!
Belly RubBelly Rub
Belly Rub

Each of us got an opportunity to interact with the dolphin in many ways.
FeedFeed
Feed

As a reward for good behavior, we would give our dolphin a treat. Our dolphin got LOTS of treats!
Dancing With DolphinsDancing With Dolphins
Dancing With Dolphins

On our second day with the dolphins, we went to the deeper pool. Our interactions were more close and personal. Katie enjoyed doing the Cha-Cha with Keiko (Paolo younger brother)
HugHug
Hug

We even got close enough to hug and...
KissKiss
Kiss

...and kiss them! Echo, pictured here with Patrick, is one of the original dolphins that were rescued from Hurricane Katrina
Dolphin PowerDolphin Power
Dolphin Power

But the excitement didn't end there. We not only swam alongside our dolphin friends, but we also got to feel their speed and agility as they pushed us through the water at speeds we never imagined!
The Rush of a "foot push"The Rush of a "foot push"
The Rush of a "foot push"

I don't know who screamed louder (in delight!). Grandma or Nancy!
Dolphin FunDolphin Fun
Dolphin Fun

Spending two days learning about the bottlenose dolphins and being able to interact with them was truly wonderful; leaving us with life-long memories.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb