Exuma Land and Sea Park


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas » Exuma
February 1st 2010
Published: February 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We left Nassau under partly cloudy skies...which did turn to a sunny day. Our crossing of the yellow bank went off without a hitch and we arrived in due course to Allans Cay. It is a nice spot but crowded. It is billed as a spot to sit out a front, however be prepared to roll a good bit. Experienced cruisers we met do not anchor there in the northerlies but head to Highborne Cay which is very close. The rock iguanas are an interesting sight, larger and quicker than one might think. We got some photos of said creatures, and if the connection allows I will post one.
After a very unpleasant encounter with another boater we raised anchor and headed to the Exumas Land and Sea Park. The wind god's were with us and we made Warderick Wells early in the day, securing ourselves to a mooring, ready to begin exploring. This truly is a gem of a place. We have taken many nice photos. There are tidal flats, coral reefs, walking trails, numerous beaches and historic spots to explore here. The park has kindly placed signs to help you identify various flora and fauna, they also provide loads of information in the office regarding the various things one will see. The hutia is the only indigenous mammal of the Bahamas and conservation efforts have returned this guinea pig like creature from the brink of extinction. The very sprightly banana quits were happy to perch on our hands for a little food. These black and white birds with very distinct bright yellow markings eat nectar generally, but are quite thrilled to receive some sugar from a human. Do not put any out on your boat, or you will be unhappy with their leavings.
The large sperm whale skeleton present on one beach gives some idea of the huge size of these sea mammals. The specimen displayed was 52 feet long (when alive) and was killed by eating plastic bags. What a sad commentary on our human impact upon the world.
We plan to move on tomorrow, then come back here in a few days, and volunteer our time to the park. This is a spot we want to explore further.
The much proclaimed Staniel Cay Yacht Club is singularly unimpressive in our opinion. The village is quite nice, with the coloured houses and cottages that abound here. Still this spot will allow us to fill our water, do a little provisioning and stretch our legs a little as we explore this smallish Cay.
We have returned to Warderick Wells, to do a little more exploring here. This is an absolutely wonderful spot, you should not miss if you get the chance.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb