Sampson Cay


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas » Exuma
March 16th 2007
Published: March 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sampson Cay ClubSampson Cay ClubSampson Cay Club

The resort at Sampson Cay, a bit of civilization after 3 weeks out at anchor.
After 3 weeks at anchor we were definitely ready for a marina and a bit of civilization. So we set sail for Sampson Cay, a private island with a small resort and marina, and it was wonderful. After taking a day or so to clean the boat, do 5 loads of laundry, and get the Rum Runner back to ship-shape, we had fun exploring the island.

One of the first days there we walked down to the southernmost point of the island. There were many cute beaches along the way which we could access via a small path off thru the shrubs. And every so often we would get to a clearing with a view of the Exuma Sound- so picturesque. We still can’t get over how beautiful it is here, with all the little islands floating in the sapphire sea. But the highlight of our walk was the beach at the end, where there was a gazebo and deck chairs for us to enjoy. So we sat back and relaxed, taking it all in. What a life!

The next day we splashed the dinghy and went off to explore the water and snorkel. Right outside the entrance
WalkingWalkingWalking

One of the many views of while walking to the southernmost part of Sampson- you can even follow a small path thru the shrubs to get to this beach.
to the marina were about 7 nurse sharks, resting on the bottom. Of course we were too scared to hop in and swim with them, although we probably could have because nurse sharks are relatively gentle. But instead we put on our masks and just dropped our head into the water below to get a good look. I don’t know what it is about sharks, they are really magnificent animals but still add an element of fear- no matter how gentle they are. All in all we had fun and it was a good shark experience, which we desperately needed, especially after last year at the Berry Islands.

So we spent most of our days in Sampson snorkeling around the different reefs in the area, walking to the beach to play ball with Kona, and of course enjoying the wonderful restaurant there at the resort. With its laid back atmosphere and beautifully facilities, we felt like we were on a vacation during our vacation. It is definitely a place we want to go back and visit.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Small Islands in the Sapphire WaterSmall Islands in the Sapphire Water
Small Islands in the Sapphire Water

Picturesque view of the Exuma Sound- still can't get over how beautiful it is here.
Just Chillin'Just Chillin'
Just Chillin'

Jen and Kona just chillin' in the gazebo at the beach, taking it all in.
Hobbie CatHobbie Cat
Hobbie Cat

A small hobbie cat that we could have rented at Sampson to sail in the cove.
Nurse SharkNurse Shark
Nurse Shark

One of the many nurse sharks at the marina.


26th March 2007

Beautiful
You look gorgeous Just Chillin' - Love the blogs, MOM

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb