Allan's Cay


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas » Exuma
February 21st 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bahamian Fishing BoatBahamian Fishing BoatBahamian Fishing Boat

One of the traditional fishing boats from Nassau.
We left Nassau and sailed along the border of the yellow bank (filled with a multitude of coral heads) and the white bank (with no coral heads, but farther south). So taking the middle road limited our risk of running into coral- a very desirable route which also proved to be popular with the traditional Bahamian fishing boats. We sailed along beside many of these traditional boats on our trip to Allan’s Cay- very cool.

Allan’s Cay is our first stop in the Exumas and is a very popular anchorage. The first night there was 22 other boats there- so crowded that we were joking with other sailors that we must have gotten lost, is this Miami? But the reason why it is so popular is that it is an absolutely beautiful spot, where you drop the hook in the middle of a cluster of small islands that provides great protection and lots of exploring. From the anchorage you have easy access to many beautiful beaches, great snorkeling and fishing, and of course all the islands provide a fun place to kayak. We stayed there for 3 nights and had an amazing time.

Of course the highlight of Allan’s
Allan's CayAllan's CayAllan's Cay

The crowded but beautiful anchoarage on Allan's Cay, surrounded by many little islands to explore.
Cay and one of the reasons why it is such a popular spot is that it is home to hundreds of rock iguanas. During the day the iguanas come out to the beach to sun themselves. And if you land your dinghy there they run out to greet you. The first time we went there we brought grapes to feed them (seeing that they are herbivores) and we got charged. We barely got two steps off the dinghy. But it was fun to watch them chase the grapes, which rolled down the beach (check out the video). These rock iguanas are protected by the government and are only found on a couple of islands in the Exumas, making them very special.

On our last night there we put up the hammocks and enjoyed sundowners on the front of our boat. It was a beautiful sunset and as the sky turned pink and then purple, one of our neighbors in the anchorage pulled out a bagpipe and started playing. It was truly a special moment, one of the many we are rewarded with living this life. Everyday we have amazing experiences; you just never know what awaits you out here
Rock IguanasRock IguanasRock Iguanas

Rock Iguanas on Allan's Cay, sunning on the beach.
in paradise.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

BubbaBubba
Bubba

The biggest Rock Iguana on the beach, we call him Bubba. He sure likes grapes.
Sunset at AllansSunset at Allans
Sunset at Allans

Jen in the hammock, enjoying the sunset while listenning to the bagpipes. Very cool!


Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 24; qc: 164; dbt: 0.1725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb