Bahama Bound


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas » Abaco
April 3rd 2006
Published: April 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

CrossingCrossingCrossing

First Day break, crossing the Gulf Stream with the Verna Breeze.
A weather window opened up for us to cross the Gulf Stream, so we were off to the Bahamas. We left around midnight on Tuesday so that we would hit the bank of the Bahamas at first daybreak and be able to continue to sail thru the day and anchor at Great Sale Cay that night. We crossed over with our friends, Chris and Kelly, who are on the sailing vessel Verna Breeze. It was a great crossing, with calm seas and light winds. We watched another beautiful sunrise, caught fish along the way, and you can certainly tell when you enter the banks because the water turns to crystal clear turquoise blue. We couldn’t have asked for a better crossing.

Once we arrived at Great Sale Cay (an uninhabited island in the middle of the Northern Abaco Islands) it was time to celebrate. We had made it to the Bahamas and it was time to enjoy island living- yeah! So we took our dinghy to the beach and let the dogs play, both Kona and Zoe were so excited to see each other and get on land again. Chris made pina coladas and we watched the sunset from the
Sunrise at SeaSunrise at SeaSunrise at Sea

What an amazing sunrise! There really is something special about watching the sunrise while out at sea.
beach, what a sight. That night we had fresh fish for dinner- yum! It really was a wonderful night and made the last 2 months of hard work to get to this point worth all the effort.

The next morning we woke up early to continue sailing to Green Turtle Cay, where we would clear customs and take a couple of days to rest. Green Turtle Cay is a wonderful Bohemian island with quaint houses, beautiful beaches, and friendly people. Jay and Chris went to clear customs, which took an hour because the customs official missed the ferry from Marsh Harbor. So they talked to the woman whose job was to sit in front of the post office and wait for mail (but really her job was to say hello to everyone in town). It certainly is a different lifestyle in the islands, we love it! The first night we anchored out of black sound and took some time to explore the town of New Plymouth. It was fun to walk around this town which has island shops, restaurants, and a sculpture garden of all the loyalists that founded the Bahamas. It was great to learn more about the
Jay FishingJay FishingJay Fishing

Jay fishing while sailing in the Gulf Stream, just outside the banks of the Bahamas.
history of the islands and to explore this cute town.

The next day we moved our boat into the protected anchorage of white sound on Green Turtle Cay. This has been a great place to anchor and we have enjoyed staying here for the last couple of days. The sound is surrounded by island bungalows that are painted in pastel pink, yellow, and Caribbean blue with many boat docks. There is a great little beach on one side of the anchorage and an opening to a marsh on the other. Chris and Kelly went to the marina here, the Green Turtle Club, so we were able to enjoy some of the amenities they offered by being their guests. The first day, after cleaning up the boat and getting things settled and put away since after the crossing, we went to the pool and just relaxed. We were definitely ready for some rest and relaxation.

Yesterday we decided to rent golf carts and explore the island more. We found some of the most beautiful beaches and enjoyed having it all to ourselves. We had brought a beach umbrella and lunch for a picnic. The dogs played, we took walks
Fish On!Fish On!Fish On!

Jay with his 40 inch big baracuda- what a catch!
on the beach looking for priceless treasures (shells and beach glass), we all swam and had a fabulous day. That night we took the golf carts all around the island, exploring the area and looking for the perfect beach bar. The highlight of our Green Turtle Pub Crawl was a local bar in the heart of downtown New Plymouth, where we talked to many locals. This family run bar is where the gumbay smash (a very popular and tasty rum punch) was originated. It was the perfect end to the perfect day. We are definitely enjoying the Bahamas and are looking forward to exploring all the wonderful islands here.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Great Sale CayGreat Sale Cay
Great Sale Cay

The dinghy on the beach of Great Sale Cay, our first steps on Bahama soil.
Happy DogsHappy Dogs
Happy Dogs

Kona and Zoe playing on the beach of Great Sale Cay- everyone is very excited to be in the Bahamas.
First Morning in BahamasFirst Morning in Bahamas
First Morning in Bahamas

Jen and Kona hanging out at anchorage in Great Sale Cay with the Verna Breeze next to us.
Sailing in the BahamasSailing in the Bahamas
Sailing in the Bahamas

We passed by many uninhabited islands on our way from Great Sale Cay to Green Turtle Cay.
Verna BreezeVerna Breeze
Verna Breeze

Sailing with our friends, Chris and Kelly, on the Verna Breeze.
Anchorage in Black SoundAnchorage in Black Sound
Anchorage in Black Sound

The first anchorage at Green Turtle Cay.
New PlymouthNew Plymouth
New Plymouth

The town of New Plymouth on Green Turtle Cay.
Entering White SoundEntering White Sound
Entering White Sound

The narrow passage into White Sound on Green Turtle Cay.
White SoundWhite Sound
White Sound

All the boat docks in White Sound.
Houses on the White SoundHouses on the White Sound
Houses on the White Sound

Beautiful island houses on the White Sound.
The Beach at White SoundThe Beach at White Sound
The Beach at White Sound

An amazing white sand beach on White Sound.
The Green Turtle ClubThe Green Turtle Club
The Green Turtle Club

The green turtle club, a great little marina.
Golf CartGolf Cart
Golf Cart

Jay and Kona on the golf cart, the prefered method of transportation while on the islands.
Beach DayBeach Day
Beach Day

One of the beautiful beaches we went to with our golf cart, we had it all to ourselves. Fabulous!
BeachBeach
Beach

Nothing like the pure white sand beach with the crystal clear turquoise Carribean waters.
Island CottageIsland Cottage
Island Cottage

One of the quaint island cottages on Green Turtle Cay- check out the bouganvilla.
SundownersSundowners
Sundowners

Enjoying the sunset from the boat on our last night at Green Turtle Cay.


3rd April 2006

Reeeally Great!
Great pics, as usual. I especially like the white sand! We are all envious back here. Looking forward to spending some time with you two and Kona soon. Speaking of Kona, I did not recognize him at first glance. He looks cool and relaxed! Now with our passports in hand, just let us know when and where and we are there!.......love, momjj p.s. How about posting a pic of your friends?
3rd April 2006

WOW!! Again.
I am enjoying your pictures and dialogue so much. Now I can save money and just live vicariously through you and Jay!! We are cruising around Hawaii in late May...not quite like being on your own. Enjoy and stay safe.

Tot: 0.299s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 29; qc: 155; dbt: 0.1625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb