Sept 22nd in Aruba


Advertisement
Aruba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Aruba
September 23rd 2019
Published: September 24th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Sunday was a full day, of course.

After walking beach and going to church and finally getting online, we met Francis, her husband Nelson, and her friend Gerardo, at Mangel Halto. Gerardo was our nervous guide, worried that we wouldn't get down to the end before the sun set, but in fact it took only about 45 mins, even tho there was absolutely NO current, for the first time in our experience. It was nice, and we vowed to return, before the currents came back. I found a dive knife and had to carry it back. After the snorkel, we all enjoyed agua munchi ?? which is like a mint lemonade - Megan should remember it - on the beach, and then they insisted we return to their home for nibbles: dates, nuts, watermelon, and hot tea to warm us up (not that we were cold - it was perfect in the ocean. There's Lucky, one of their rescue dogs, looking sad because you weren't there, Megan.

We obviously didn't go out to eat, more cheese and tomato sandwiches!

Aha - now it's Monday and another full day, fuller actually.

In the ocean by 8 am at Boca Catalina and it was sediment-free and gorgeous. Kicked our usual 100 kicks towards the wreck of the Antilles and voila - there were 5 turtles all together. It kept up that way, and by the time we left, one hour later, we had counted 32! mostly little ones. Unfortunately we experienced those stinging jelly fish larvae again like we did in Cayman Islands - not very severe, just annoying. Lots of the usual watery friends

Then we were off to Linda's for their amazing Dutch pancakes and Smit & Dorlas coffee. Then off to Mangel Halto and a leisurely drift - again, no current!!! The big find of the day was a pair of trigger fish, not very big for ocean triggerfish but they were def not Queen angelfish, and we don't have our master ref book with us.

David walked the 6 mins back to the car to save my knees, which ARE complaining over the snorkeling and fact that we are on the 3rd floor far from the elevators.

Home for a rest, then off to Nos Clubhuis for happy hour and fish and chips (grouper, amazing) and sunset, which was another amazing one. It filled the skies. And the breeze finally returned, for the evening anyway. When there are storms to the north, it sucks the air/wind out of this area and makes it hotter.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.372s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0965s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb