October 2, 2022


Advertisement
Aruba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Aruba » Santa Cruz
October 2nd 2022
Published: October 3rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

With the ocean, you just never know what you’re going to find!

We were at Tres Trapi by 8:30 to see the turtles, and while they were not in that very first spot of turtle grass just off the steps, we did eventually see 11 of them, including – yes, you guessed – Hungry Turtle. David even watched a turtle do a big poo. Which he documented, of course.

We also saw an eel, a flying gurnard, and a magnificent Spotted Eagle Ray. We were reluctant to get out, but 2 hours later we hauled ourselves up the steps and chatted to a couple from England. And unbelievably, it’s a direct flight from Gatwick on Tui airlines!!! So, if the English family wants to meet us someday here in Aruba, let us know!

We want to buy house numbers in ceramic, and stopped at 3 different stores, each one recommended by the one that didn’t have them. We have one more lead on that for tomorrow.

After lunch of left over fish curry and a rest, we were off again to repeat the drift snorkel at Mangel Halto. While David drove back to the end and walked back for me, I waited with a local lady who was waiting for her partner to spear their dinners. He came in with a cow fish !!, a striped parrotfish, and an enormous stoplight parrotfish. And then he was off again.

The first part of the drift was uneventful, and sadly not as crystal clear as it was yesterday. Our main find was a very good serrated steak knife, which David dove for in about 12’ of water, and I had to carry the whole way in.

In fact David suggested we speed up the drift and do some birding instead.

But then we saw a most unexpected OCEAN TRIGGER FISH – something we have only seen in the deeper sections of the drift when we head out as far as we dare.

And then we saw an octopus, which entered into our vision very dark, and quickly turned pale gray as he settled onto the rock.

A few eels besides (no big green morays though), and we ended up being in the water another 1-3/4 hours. No wonder I’m tired!!

Time to return to the ranch, and fortunately I was allowed (ha ha) to go into the pool again for a bit of unabashed relaxing on my float.

Dinner tonight? A reprise of the sauteed grouper, yam, and broccoli. Good thing we like fish! We also checked in with our family on Zoom.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 32; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb