September 30


Advertisement
Aruba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Aruba » Santa Cruz
September 30th 2022
Published: October 1st 2022
Edit Blog Post

Today was an “iffy” day weatherwise. We awoke early to the sound of rain on the tin roof, but got out the door by 7 am or so, packed with sandwiches and snorkeling equipment, but mainly to go birding in the Salinas (salty shallow waters) up near La Cabana. The rush hour at 7 was nothing like the other day at 8 am either.

We got a few photos of the usual water birds, adding a ruddy turnstone and kildeer to the mix (not new birds). We drove up to Arashi beach and saw a lovely collection of Brown Boobies and Pelicans – how clumsy they are on the ground, how majestic in flight. We noticed that they always turned away from the sun as they hit the water.

The visibility was poor on that side of the island. We stopped at the usual entry point and spoke to one disappointed snorkeler. We also met Eric and Madi, a couple from PA we had met at Mangel Halto yesterday, and told them about the benefits of Baby Beach and said we might go there eventually.

After dropping off David’s big camera, we continued south, where the weather was getting darker as drove. Yes, there were Eric and Madi searching for the reef in the center as we’d recommended, AND they had seen a turtle when they first entered. It was getting chillier and darker and windier, and by the time we came out of the water (maybe in for 45 minutes) it was starting to rain again. We decided to have lunch together in that Rum Reef restaurant we’d visited with the Fadeleys. The grouper sandwich was once again very very tasty. We had a good chat, having much in common like 2 daughters. They are here celebrating their 25th anniversary – and haven’t been back since their honeymoon. We may have to investigate their recommendation to visit Lancaster County PA in mid-late February when the Snow Geese arrive in droves. (Three times we have gone for the Valentine’s Day event hosted by Mennonite & Brethren Marriage Encounter, so we’ll see!) Wow – just looked it up for Middle Creek Wildlife management area in Lancaster County, and they count like 36,000 one day, and 85,000 another. Wow – but at dawn and twilight. Looks like a slightly chillier adventure is coming our way in 2023 and we might have to stay closer by than York PA.

A rainy day as we drove home, so a great day for a nap!!

Dinner was the leftover rice/bami meal from Indo last night. But we still have those already made-up sandwiches. Hmmmm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb