Hi Mrs. Stein and Kids - We are in Ho Chi Minh City!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
November 2nd 2006
Published: November 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Flat Stanley and the French Provencial PalaceFlat Stanley and the French Provencial PalaceFlat Stanley and the French Provencial Palace

This was the building that was built in the early 1900's from which the French ruled Vietnam. In 1954 Vietnam became independent and it is now a Government Building
Hi Everyone,
Uncle Arlyn and I are in Ho Chi Minh City. The flight to Ho Chi Minh City was very good and we have since been very busy here. Ho Chi Minh City used to be called Saigon, for the Saigon River that flows by the city. It is very warm here and the temperature stays between 80 and 100 degrees most of the year. It seems it is always summer here!

Ho Chi Minh City and Vietnam was conquered by the French in 1859 and was under their control until 1954. Even today most of the architecture looks like what you see in France. In fact, in Paris there is a famous Cathedral called Notre Dame, and here in Ho Chi Minh City there is a replica of Notre Dame that is 1/3 smaller than the original. Uncle Arlyn took my picture in front of it for you to see. He also took my picture in front of the French Provincial Palace that is now a Government building.

You know, people in different countries have different customs and what they eat and rink can be strange to us. One thing that some people drink in Vietnam is
Flat Stanley and Snake WineFlat Stanley and Snake WineFlat Stanley and Snake Wine

Can you believe that they really drink this stuff? See the Cobra in the bottle with a scorpion in his mouth? Should I bring some home?
“Snake Wine”. It is a wine that actually has been aging in a bottle that contains a snake. The snake is usually a cobra. Sometimes the cobra has a scorpion in it’s’ mouth. Uncle Arlyn took my picture in front of the bottles of Snake Wine. I could never drink that stuff, but it's interesting to look at. Should I bring some home Steve?

Ho Chi Minh City is much larger than Hanoi. There are about 6 million people here and the traffic is unbelievable. Most of it is motorbikes, and they ride within inches of each other. Don’t worry- we will not be riding motorcycles here.

Tomorrow we are heading back to Hanoi, and we possibly are going on a trip to Ha Long Bay on Saturday. If we do we will send you pictures.

Take Care,
Uncle Arlyn & Flat Stanley

PS- Have you guessed who the special guest is who will be coming to Hanoi on November 17th? Here is a hint- “His initials are G.W.B.”



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Flat Stanley at Notre Dame CathedralFlat Stanley at Notre Dame Cathedral
Flat Stanley at Notre Dame Cathedral

This is a just like the cathedral in Paris, but is 1/3 smaller.
Notre Dame CathedralNotre Dame Cathedral
Notre Dame Cathedral

I will get out of the way so you can see the building better. It's really beautiful isn't it?


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb