Ho Chi Minh 14/07 - 16/07


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
July 14th 2017
Published: July 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Our 9am bus ride from Phom Penh to Ho Chi Minh was a relatively straight forward and well organised one for a change! Apart from turfing our rucksacks out at the border, being shouted at to collect them, and then put them back in the same luggage compartment they were turfed out from, we arrived safe and sound. We wondered from the bus drop off point into an area that seemed to have the most hotels in search for a cheap place to stay and found a little hotel called Madame Cuc. Once we'd checked in and showered we popped out for food and headed for the highly recommended on trip advisor "NonlaGuys". The reviews conjured up fond memories of Sheffields "street food chef" and so drooling and excited for some Mexican street food we placed our orders (2 cokes, 2 quesadilla, one spicy, one medium with 2 fries, easy right).... First we didn't get our drinks, then we got 1 portion of fries, then we got 2 plain quesadilla then about 40 minutes later once Char had given up and gone out for a ciggy, another cold portion of fries, not impressed. We decided to drown our sorrows and went to a skybar with panoramic views of HCMC including its skydeck. This worked well and we were feeling much better when we wandered back and spotted a very colourful headband shop, 2 impulse buys later we are now both sporting bandanas.



The next morning we headed to the war remnants museum where we educated ourselves on the history and reasons for the Vietnam war. Unlike some of the dull and boring museums knocking about, this one was actually very interesting. We scouted about looking for connections to Jacks dads regiment and saw the rifles, medals, badges and photos of the troops in action. Also some beastly tanks, planes, cannons and helicopters. We then mooched through the park, saw the independence palace, notredam cathedral and old post office. Touristy boxes ticked we'd earned another beer and planned tomorrow's journey onto Cat Tien National Park. The next morning we had a Skype call from DeTrang Farm where we have arranged a 2 week volunteering place to work on their eco project caring for the animals and farming just before we fly to Indonesia. It seems absolutely perfect, the staff were lovely on the call and we are very excited to go there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb