Tunnles and Guns!!


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
October 25th 2006
Published: October 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi All

After our paradise island we headed back to HCMC alone. We went to see the 'War reminants museum' and were subjected to some brutal images. Mainly of Americans being cruel to Vietnamese during the war (v. anti- American). Can't comment on the why's or wherefors of the whole issue as not totally clued up on it yet, but soon will be as G is reading a book on America's involvement. There were even babies in jars that were deformed because of the DDT (AGENT ORANGE) that was used by the Americans to help with 'de-forrestisation''. Pretty horrific in all. However, the hardship and loss American's went through was shown pictorially in a separate section (donated by people in Kentucky!). Some powerful photos here also. THe upshot of the whole thing was Graeme managed to sneak by the security guards (not big and NOT CLEVER!) and get INTO a helicopter that is on display, along with tanks and other planes!

Next day we went to the 'Co Chi Tunnels' in an area of the same name. These were practically a whole town under ground, I think they were a few hundred miles long and v. narrow! The Vietnamese used these tunnels in their fight against the Americans. 'The 'VC' or Viet Cong were the people's army and resistance. Their feats were amazing in building these tunnels, they were such smart and sometimes brutal people. Even turns out that the Americans had built one of their bases on top of a hige section of the tunnels and they didn't even know it! Someof the human traps they used were horrendous, but then it was a war! They show you a wee film before going on a tour of the tunnels which was made it 1967 ish...it is hillarious! So outdated and G and I nearly ended ourselves when they said "Those dirty lottle devils the Americans..." It was like something out of a v. innparopriate and one sided 'Harry Enfield'skit!! You certainly couldn't go into the tunnels if you were claustrphobic, they were only about 1 metre by0.75m. I only managed 30ms, but you could go a whole 100m underground...it was so close and airless!!

Then we flew to Siem Reap in Cambodia where the temples of Angkor are. The airport I have to say is pretty impressive, a beautiful 1 storry building that looks like a temple itself. I've since heard that SR is such a major tourist attraction that they thought the airport should try to be upscale for it's International visitors.

I'll leave it there for just now as I'm missing the beach across the road!

Sandra - Can you ask Elspeth or Claire (McCrirrick) if they got the e-mails I sent them. I also sent you one and haven't had a reply yet??!!!

Pat - I've also sent you an e-mail, did you get it??

Chris - I've texted you a couple of times, but the service here inCambodia isn't up to much, so I doubt if it's got through to you. Keep the heed in the football! You're wasting your talents sitting on the 'bad boy's bench'!! You better have ajob by the time you get back, cause I'll be needing to cadge money off you!!

Susy P - How's tricks in Airdrie..treating you well I hope??

Love to all

Kxx

Advertisement



26th October 2006

just a quick question...
awritey, av txt u a few times aswell but no sure if ur gettin them. Anyway...remember you took ma memory stick (the wee thing to stick into the computer an you can save stuff on it), did you give me it back?, just got some stuff to do at uni, an it would b handy. I will have a job shortly...fingers crossed!. later xxx
29th October 2006

Memory Stick
Alrite son! Think I may still have it in my work bag (thanks for reminding me!!). It's the black leather briefcase and it's probably in one of the wee pockets inside at the back of it. Just rummage around in it. If yours is not there mine might be, so just take it instead. If you can't find it, buy another one and I'll give you the money when Im home. Where's the job then? P.S. In Bangkok again so should get texts a bit easier! Kx
2nd November 2006

Bugger
Maybe just as well you're on holiday, last night's game was a horror show. Gubbed 3-0 in Benfica. 2 absolute blunders by Caldwell put them 2 up in 22 mins. The first was an own goal when he should have put it round the post, the second possibly even worse when a long ball from their keeper came down, rather than letting it run through to Boruc, he tried to head it, it came off his face and landed at Gomes' feet who slotted it. Game over. Strachan then blundered in the 2nd half by taking off Sno for Magic - a midfielder for a striker was not what we needed - we needed to hold out at 2-0, the game was lost. Instead, we lost a 3rd and hence no longer hold the advantage over Benfica - it'll now go to goal difference if we end up on equal points and they'll probably beat us on that as they still have to play Copenhagen at home. To cap off the night, Man U fielded a weakened team at Copenhagen and got beat (arrogant arseholes) meaning Copenhagen are right back in it now. It also means man u will be coming to Parkhead in 3 weeks wanting to win, rather than fielding a weakened team knowing they play Chelsea the weekend after. Disaster - if we lose the next 2 games (man u at home and it wouldn't matter who we were playing away - you have to say 0 points is a strong possibility) and we could even be out of europe altogether as Copenhagen would take 3rd from us. Canne believe it!Hope all's going well out there! Ross
6th November 2006

Happy again
What a weekend of footie! 86mins gone, 1-0 down at home to Hearts and looked tired and out of it. A few poor refereeing decisions all of a sudden had the crowd going, as had Craig Gordon's non-stop time wasting and several Hearts players willingness to feign injury. Big Jiri nodded in an equaliser from a Naka corner on 86 mins to equalise. Gordon then pulled off a stunning save from a Naka free kick and in the 4th minute of stoppage time (all addded on due to their time-wasting) Naka flighted in a corner, Caldwell slipped it to McManus who shot. Gordon saved it, but it was spinning towards the goal line. He reached out to try to catch the ball, but it was spinning. Instead of catching the ball, he could only get his finger tips to it. Robbie Neilson was standing on the line ready to boot the ball clear, but having left his colleague to deal with it, could only watch on in horror as he fumbled it into the net! 2-1! 2-1! (Hope i made that last bit exciting enough for you!). Couldn't believe it! There's only one Craig Gordon! Yesterday, Rangers took on bottom of the league DUFC at Tannadice in a 'surely can't lose' game. They took the lead just after half time, but two headed goals gave DUFC victory! Rangers now sit 15 points off us in 3rd place, but only 11 clear of last! They'll go fourth if there's a winner in the Aberdeen v ICT game tonight! It's times like this I remember why I do nothing u but talk, watch, play, live, breathe football! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb