Day 17 Travelling to Saigon


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
August 5th 2015
Published: August 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 17

Up early and out for our usual omelette and bread breakfast. I'm convinced that I've not has a poorly stomach as I'm bound by all the eggs ive eaten! The private car came to pick us up just after 9am. Tuan the boss of Easy Riders came To see us off and wish is well. The lady on reception was hugging and kissing us goodbye. The hotel staff have been so lovely. The other day they came with a hot boiled egg and got Lesley to lay on the bed and roll it over her black eye. She found it very soothing. They also helped us with drying the clothes I'd washed through.

The driver was friendly and spoke English which was helpful. Not a good start to the journey though as So many bad roads and potholes made is very uncomfortable for Lesley. We stopped for a tea break. The driver was great and reclined her chair to make her more comfortable. Off again and things are better. I watched a film on my iPad and napped. Lesley sang along to the 70's CD the driver has put on.

1.30pm we stopped for lunch. A little roadside place and had the usual rice, veg and chicken. I could smell a funny smell then realised I had 2 stinky dogs sat at the table. The lunch was nice but basic but I couldn't face the chicken it has bones and gristle. We needed the bathroom and the lady took us down an alley to her house! Passing children on the way who always shout hello to us. We've noticed that all the children are really happy playing in the streets. No iPads or tech games. It's lovely to see. the toilet was a stand up Asian one. Lesley can only use one hand. All I'll say is mine and Lesley's friendship is bound - friends forever! I'll add it to the list of "firsts" I'm keeping.

Driving into Saigon there were many sky scrapers. The driver told us that 10 million people live in 25% of the city. There are 4 million cars and motorbikes. He seemed to panic a bit and we got lost. Lesley put her sat nav on and we found the hotel. It's right in the middle of the city. It's a very small room. When we asked at reception what type of room is was it is a deluxe the standard is smaller and has no window! However, I'm not moaning it is luxury. The toilet was sealed with a notice saying "cleaned and disinfected".

We've just found Haagen Das cafe and are sitting and having a coffee. We were going to have an ice cream treat but the prices are ridiculous. We could eat 3 meals in Da Lat for the same price as one scoop. I've definitely left my heart in the mountains and miss the simple life, cows in the road, street vendors, coffee plants, rice fields. Not sure about 4 days here at the moment.

We're just looking at what we might do. There is a Vietnam war museum and of course the cu chi tunnels to see. We are looking at trips up the Mekong river into Cambodia. I feel sad that my last days in Vietnam are in the city as it doesn't reflect the real Vietnam life.

Well tonight turned out really well. After leaving the cafe we found Dong Khoi, which runs from Notre Dame cathedral to the Saigon river. There was a pedestrian area in the middle where everything was happening. Groups of young people playing instruments together and singing. Hoi chi min statue which was policed, you can't stand near it. The area at one end was very high class - shops and hotels Ralph Lauren, Cartier etc. the sky scraper buildings were all lit up. It was a toned down version of Times Square. We walked along to the river but had to cross a really busy road first. Throughout Vietnam the pedestrian has been king however busy the traffic just goes slow and goes around you. Not here. Even when the green man says cross, the traffic come through in red lights. We waited and crossed with another group of people - safety in numbers. We sat my the river and watched amazing lightening in the distance. It seems a place where young lovers sit .... so we decided to head back to town.

Feeling peckish we headed back to the main area. It is so clean and lots of police, some on roller blades - how cool! We ate at a really nice restaurant. We weren't that hungry so ordered poutine, it's fries with cheese and gravy! Lesley told me it was lovely - she was right. Assortment of spring rolls and small garlic bread. It was chilli hot, as most food is in Vietnam, but lovely. We had to move undercover as the storm we saw earlier has arrived. Donned with rain macs ( but no one else was!) we headed back to the hotel. Happy, as we found a nail bar and tourist information which will be our first stop in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb