Ho Chi Minh to Hoi An by train and bus


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
April 21st 2015
Published: April 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

20th and 21st April 2015

HO Chi Minh City

Visit to Cu Chi Tunnels - Boarded a bus for a trip to Cu Chi. This took about 45mins heading north west. Cu Chi is famous for it's tunnels and the fighting spirit of the Cu Chi people against the US and South Vietnamese. Some of the tunnels were created when the vietnamese were fighting The Indochina war back in 1945. When we arrived we had to watch a documentary about the people and how they fought back against the Americans using their network of tunnels. The documentary looks like it was made back in the 60's. The tunnel system was around 250km long and had 3 levels of tunnels in the Cu Chi area. There were areas for a kitchen, living areas and even a hospital area. We viewed some of the tunnel entrances, bomb craters left by B52 bombs, trenches used for shooting at the enemy and replicas of the some of the booby traps created to trap the enemy. Bronwyn and I took the plunge and walked through one of the tunnels for about 80 mtrs. We are both short but still had to crouch down to get through (see video Bronwyn took). Very clever people . I can't imagine living like that but if your life depended on it I imagine you would.

After this we drove back to Ho Chi Minh and stopped at the War Museum. This museum is totally dedicated to the entire war starting from 1945 to when the war ended with the fall of Saigon. This is the most moving and upsetting place I have seen even though it is being told from the Communist point of view. There is so much to see by way of photos and stories to read. I am the first to admit that I am quite naive about any wars as they are all horrible. I think it was the photos that got me as they are just so real. A lot of the photos on display were taken by photojournalists who were killed or taken prisoner and died during the war, including one woman photojournalist.

There are 3 levels of the museum - top floor starts with the beginning in 1945 and progressing though time down to the second and first floor. The first floor was the hardest as they had stories and photos of what happened to a lot of the people including babies being born after the chemical weapons were used.

Down on the ground outside the museum there are some US fighter planes and a Huey helicopter as well as a couple of tanks. There is also an area where they have some interrogation cells (called tiger cells) that were used to interrogate prisoners. Truly horrific what human beings are capable of. There were a number of prisons in Ho Chi Minh.

Moving on the group had lunch at a restaurant chosen by our guide. Food is great in Vietnam and their coffee is even better.

After that we went to a bakery and fruit store to stock up on food supplies for the train trip to Da Nang. Walking into the bakery was like walking into the bakery in Cabramatta - just the same. They have some great fruit in Vietnam - they have this type of plum which is shaped like an avocado but sooo nice.

We boarded our 'first class' sleeper on the train - Bronwyn and I had to share with 2 Vietnamese people and we were 'lucky' enough to have the top bunks. Footholds supplied for climbing up. Our train trip is long - 17hrs. Stayed awake as long as possible and sleeping was a hit and miss. Everytime the train changed tracks I thought we had derailed but eventually went to sleep only to wake up at 5.30am.

Our 2 travelling companions got off the train at Cam around 6am so Bronwyn and I spread out a bit until 2 other people got on further down the track. I have had my breakfast (fruit and roll with toasted cheese on top. Coffee is going to have to wait until we get off the train as even our guide said don't eat or drink anything available on the train. It is currently 10am so I may finish off my food supplies now (croissant and apple and a drink from my water bottle). Only a couple of hours to go before we arrive at Da Nang.

Finally arrive at Da Nang where we catch a bus to Hoi An. On the way we pass by China Beach. Very touristy with huge hotels. Very popular even with the Vietnamese who can afford to stay there. Had lunch first and changed buses as anything over 16 seater cannot drive on the bridge over to our hotel in the new quarter. Checked into our hotel for 2 nights. Weather not as hot here but still 32 degrees. OUr hotel has a pool so Bronwyn and I were quick to go and get in and relax for a while. Our guide took us on a familiarisation tour of Hoi An so we know where to go tomorrow to do our shopping for goodies. Our hotel is on an island so we need to go back over this very very old bridge (no buses allowed). Hoi An has an old quarter (where all the best goodies are) and the new quarter. In the old quarter one of the streets consists of all the houses on one side of the street being Japanese and all the house on the other side being Chinese. These days they are owned and lived in by Vietnamese.

After that we stopped for refreshments to work out who wanted to do any small tours. Bronwyn and I are getting up late, having breakfast, may go for a swim and will then wander around the shops to see what is worth buying. They have some great art, clothes, leather goods and the paper lanterns are beautiful. Any requests let me know asap.

Stay tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb