Traffic, Fanny and Getting Stuck in Tunnels


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
April 13th 2011
Published: April 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

There is no place on Earth like Saigon. Even getting into the city from the airport my head spins, not only from the sheer amount of traffic on the roads but at the fact that most of them make it through their journey alive. The main rule seems to be 'don't get hit,' as motorbikes squeeze in and out of impossibly tiny gaps and car wing mirrors smash against each other. The noise of the engines and horns is immense but the strangest thing is that nobody seems to notice. Everybody goes about their business, knowing their place on the road, giving buses and trucks a slightly wider berth.
On arrival at Luan Vu Guesthouse we foud excellent rooms with flat-screen tvs and air-conditioning.
We hit the streets walking and immediately got caught up in the infectious hustle and bustle. Despite Saigon's chaotic nature it is impossible not to be drawn into it. Even crossing the road feels like a huge achievement. Stepping out into an onslaught of swerving motorbikes is something that everybody should do, if only to re-appreciate the value of life at the other side. Bangkok's motorways are a walk in the park in comparison.
The first stop on our walk was Ben Than Market, It is a massive indoor market with increasingly narrow aisles which were hot and stifling in the mid-day heat. Each with bags in our hand we thought it time to get out and find somewhere for cold refreshment. A perfect situation for Fanny Ice-cream. As we sat in the old French colonial building eating our ice-cream from a pineapple all of the classic double-entendres came out, as well as some new ones. Children should only look at the photographs if they promise not to read any captions.
The walk continued, taking in the Reunification Palace, the fall of which officially ended the Vietnam War, Notre Dame Cathedral and the old post office. While in there we got talking to a Vietnamese boy who practiced his English on us.
On the way back we stopped into the market again where me and Dad were left in charge of a stall while the woman went to get some stock. We rolled out the Vietnamese classic lines, 'Hello, hello, you buy something?', 'Buy one more' and just, 'Buy something,' but didn't have much look sales-wise.

The next day everyone went to the tunnels while I had a wander around Saigon and sat at streetside cafes soaking up the atmosphere. They'll have to tell you about the trip in detail but it did involve an ill Julie (Couldn't be anything to do with 'Big Tiger' could it?), Dad getting stuck chest deep in the Vietnamese hole of the Cu Chi Tunnels and awful food. Dad did manage to get to the end of the slightly wider western tunnel, although he had to crawl on hands and knees and inch round bends towards the end. Not the easiest thing to do in pitch darkness with only feel to help you find the way.
That night we ate at a restaurant where street children are trained as chefs and waiters. It gets them off the street and gives them a chance in life. Not only that but the food was delicious.

Next stop the mountains of Da Lat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Fanny 5Fanny 5
Fanny 5

Pete wasn't keen on Julie's sour Fanny.
Fanny 4Fanny 4
Fanny 4

Dad turned out to be more of a muncher than a licker.
Fanny 2Fanny 2
Fanny 2

Mam will never forget her first taste of Fanny.
Fanny 3Fanny 3
Fanny 3

Me blowing my Dong on Fanny.


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb