Day 17 - Ho Chi Minh (Saigon)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
October 29th 2009
Published: October 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 17 - Ho Chi Minh
An early wake up call and we were off to the Cu Chi Tunnels. We stopped halfway there to take a toilet break and look at some art work and furniture done by the handicapped people (as a result of Agent Orange). The artwork was amazing, I wanted to buy some but it was expensive and I have no room left in my suitcase. In the space of 5 mins we almost had 2 accidents in the bus. Both times people pulled out in front of us without looking. They were both very very close and I think we all needed a new pair of underpants.

I took a lot of photos at the tunnels and we saw examples of the tunnels and various booby traps used by the Vietnamese. Their traps were so clever and the tunnels were amazing, over 250kms worth of tunnels!!!!!!!!!!!!! We even got to go through one of the bigger tunnels. The Vietnamese must have been very small at that time as there was not much space. I think we made it about 30 metres and Justin got freaked out by a frog on the ground lol. Our tour guide gave us a dirty look when we asked if they had hand grenades at the shooting range (not like Cambodia). We also bought some crazy scorpion wine to share. It was so bad we only had a sip each before throwing the rest away.

On our way back from the tunnels we stopped at the War Museum. The war museum had a good collection of planes, bombs and stories. Many of the stories and pictures were quite graphic and very sad. It was interesting but too many sad stories 😞

The hotel receptionist took us to Pho 2000 where Bill Clinton ate when he was president. We ate some Pho and shouted her lunch. Afterwards we stopped at the park to play a game where you kick something similar to a shuttlecock (I am not sure of the name of the game). It was a lot of fun and soon we had a bunch of students join in. Apparently a lot of students hang out in the park when they have free time and they like to practice their english with the foreigners.

At dinner time we went back to the park where they were having a night festival. We had dinner there with Xuan - the funny girl. The food there was great and the atmosphere was good.

Today was a long day so we are exhausted. Pepsi did not feel so well so Justin gave him a hard time. An early start tomorrow morning. Justin is heading back to the UK 😞 Pepsi and I are heading off to Macau to make some benjamins :D

Ripoff Tally - 11



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



31st October 2009

Ho Chi Minh
Looks like the best stop yet.

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb