Saigon and the Cu Chi tunnels


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
February 13th 2009
Published: April 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Hoi An and drove to the railway station at Da Nang to catch the Re-unification Express sleeper train to Saigon. it was a really good journey and I've never slept so well on transport so far!

We arrived in Saigon about 5am and got a taxi to where the cheap hotels and bars were. Of course being 5am none of the hotels or guest houses were open yet so we found a 24hr bar called GO2 and had a beer while we waited for the hotels to open. It was quite disturbing though watching loads of seedy western men leaving with slutty Vietnamese women. I'm not sure but I could guess some of them looked like prostitutes...

After checking into our cheap guest house (through a tailor's and with a bed so hard it would be more comfortable sleeping on the floor), we had a wander round the city. We knew straight away we couldn't stay in Saigon long, its incredibly hectic for one thing.

We went to the main market first which was really good. Lots of cheap souvenirs and plenty of choice. Good cheap food as well. After we went to the War Remant's museum which was definately worth seeing. Quite an eye opener. It was horrible seeing some of the photos from the Vietnam war particulary the Agent Orange attacks.

The next day we went to the Cu Chi tunnels. Apart from the blatant propaganda video at the start and crawling through the tunnels when you're claustrophobic, it was well worth going too. Also had a chance to fire an M16. Not everyday you can fire live rounds from Rambo's gun...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb