Saigon... shit; I'm still only in Saigon... Every time I think I'm gonna wake up back in the jungle.


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City
February 20th 2009
Published: February 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Howdy. Not a great deal to report here in Saigon at the moment. The weather is getting warmer and warmer and it seems like a long time since we had any decent rain. At home i tend to keep to my air conditioned room especiallysince the DVD player in the lounge mysteriously broke soon into the new year..which perhaps make the heat seem even worse because when i leave the room i feel like im walking into an inferno...

We have only another eight weeks or so in the house and then we have to move out..not sure where to as yet, but accomodation is easy enough to find here so shouldn't be aa problem. Today ive beeen out and about in the city checking out different areas to live in, trying to find somewhere relatively quiet and not too urban. As for what to do when the con tract ends, to quote Mavis Riley" i don't really know"... Needless to say it was a fruitless mission..at least on the urban front..Saigon is just one huge asphalt jungle....

The other day in one of my classes i asked some kid a question, and he responded with 'who can know?' It was a great answer as it suggests that its just not him that doesnt know the answer, but that no-one, anywhere, can know the answer...of course i knew the answer, it was 'phrasal verb'...The lad in question has long been know as 'no name' after i asked him his name once and he said he had no name...with a burgeoning afro and enforced, rather than acted, laconic personality, he will hardly have Clint Eastwood shaking
in his boots, but then again, we are now in the 'Asian century' and Clint needs to pass the mantle to someone...by the way check out his new movie 'Gran Torino...its a good one...thats clint, not 'no name' whose only foray into acting include the minor classics: "I'm not sleeping, i'm tired", the sequel, "teacher i'm tired', and of course the nearly silent movie "zzz"...

The other weekend, Nick and Loan went to Dalat. They brough me back a 3 litre jug of what i like to call 'Dalat Ready-wine". Its full of dry, musty yet potent leaves and rice...you add water, and should drink the whole thing in an evening...share between four. I received it on a sunday eveing after a big
forward thinkingforward thinkingforward thinking

na-nu, na-nu,
weekend of work...i managed as much as i coukld after a evening in the pub. but i was, alas, not up to the mammoth task alone..i then let it fester in the kitchen for a few days..on the fifth day i decided to convert the kitchen from, judging by the luftwaffe of insects surroung it, an Alabama swamp back to a dishevelled and neglected Saigon kitchen..comlete with a sad looking pack of spaghetti that no-on currently living here will ever cook...

I had a sunday afternoon off work the other day and went to the waterpark with Thu. I've only been when its been quiet during thw week and so it wasn'tg as enjoyable as previous nvisits.....the babbling brook that can ferry you round the park in semi-blissful dreaminess turns into 'friday evening on the A6 only with added rivers of yellowing water....


Last night, i was tired, had nothing doing, so decided to watch 'close encounters' on HBO. It was great, as always....Which was a as well, as to get the pizza, i had to sit on the 'saddest table in Saigon'...essentaillyh a table in the backpacker district that some guy called Paul decided was full of arsehloes...he was right...This evening i have been watching a a singer at the Irish pub uptown and treated myself to a well deserved cornish pasty...


Other than that, not been doing much..eating, drinking, the usual...hoping to take a break somewhere nxt month, maybe outside of VN, depends on the old dong situation...(for the information of the quite likely now sniggering stewart boys, thats the currency here...)

Im thinking Malaysia, or perhaps China...so if anyone fancies a trip in Asia this summer drop me a line...

anyroad, heres some photos to liven up this blog entry....laters everybody...







Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb